A level of self-care and calm is important amid the coronavirus outbreak. With the coronavirus causing so many of us to feel anxious, we need to watch our thoughts so that we do not spiral into a cycle of stress due to fearful thinking. When we focus on fear that is what we will get more of. Of course we have to take precautions, and of course there will be some anxiety with this new virus but by focusing on the worry and the fear, your mental and physical well-being will be affected. Elevated levels of stress impact our immune systems. Here are ways to take care of yourself during this time:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your face
- Restrict being in large crowds- if that is something you choose
- Boost your immune system by getting enough sleep
- Exercise regularly
- Eat nutrient dense foods
- Get out in the sun and outdoors
- Avoid excessive exposure to media coverage of COVID-19.
- Take deep breaths, stretch or meditate
- Maintain a sense of positive thinking
Taking care of your mind and body is crucial especially during this time. It’s healthy to be cautious but not wise to fall into a panic which will only adversely affect your health. Realize you have more control over how you feel than you think. If you’re feeling anxious then just pause, take some deep breaths, focus on being in the present and remember that a good dose of self-care will help you get through this time.