Every yoga beginner wonders how to approach such a vast subject. After all Yoga is neither a mystical phenomenon nor a physical exercise. Yoga is simply a systematic process for the complete physical, mental, emotional, intellectual and spiritual development of a person. It is a technique of calming down your mind to relieve from stress. It is an approach to self-reflection.
The principal of yoga is based on spirituality. According to yoga, we are not just the physical body, but we have more than four delicate bodies (Panchakosha). It is a consciousness that forms the foundation of all the five bodies. You may take a complete knowledge of this philosophy by doing yoga courses in India. Here are the most important five principles for the practice of effective yoga:
- Appropriate exercise: You cannot deny this fact that regular exercise is good for you. Here proper exercise means the practice of yoga asanas. Your body needs to be gained by a regular, well-balanced asana practice. Yoga is a total workout as opposed to other exercises like running and weight training. Regular practice of yoga can improve your immune system, improves blood circulation, relieve stress, improves sleep and helps with flexibility. It also beneficial for heart muscles; it helps in reducing blood pressure and improves circulation in the entire body.
- Regular breathing exercise: Breathing exercise refers to Pranayama. Control of prana or energy gained through the practice of breath control. Breathing exercises like Anuloma Viloma, Kapalbhati, restore the nervous system, detoxify the cardiorespiratory system, and help us to maintain steady and calm breathing during the time of emotional and physical stress.
- Complete relaxation: It refers to adequate sleep and relaxation between asanas in the form of Savasana. When we practice Savasana in between the asanas, it helps in healing and repairing itself more effectively. It helps to relax the body in a supine position by maintaining consciousness to reset the internal equilibrium.
The practice of this asana properly helps you to cure insomnia, it also helps in maintaining the balance of your body throughout the day by keeping a well-planned schedule – same time for meals, and being able to fall asleep quickly in the night and awaken refreshed takes practice and planning.
We take sleep for granted; often take help from caffeine in the afternoon or evening; eat a heavy diet before going to sleep; we don’t give enough time to the brain and body to calm down before sleeping. We often wonder why there is inadequate sleep and a restless mind.
- Healthy diet: The very basic key behind this principle is simply choosing Sattvic food. According to you, what is sattvic food? Satvic food is simply mild (not very spicy and fattening), not packaged food, but fresh, and plant-based. It is essential that food must be taken in moderate quantity, and limited to 2 to 3 meals a day. The proper yogic diet discipline is free from binge eating, emotional eating, and midnight cravings.
- Self reflection and positivity: Asking questions is a simple key to seek answers to understand the world around us. When we learn this truth, we become compassionate towards all beings, aware of our environment, and have a continued longing for understanding and peace. Positive thinking in this context is the main concern; you can always seek the truth with a positive attitude, it helps in bringing the joy to others through kind words and actions. Boost your sense of humor by daily practicing it; be like a child and smile to all you see. If you are a beginner you may do 200 hour yoga teacher training in India for further knowledge of all these yoga poses and practices.