Recently, I spoke with a few fantastic health experts and they provided great tips on how you can live your very best life.
Sleep – Good quality sleep is something that we all need for a happy and healthy life. It effects all aspects of our lives and has a ripple effect on our happiness, health and well being.
Dr. Sharnell Muir is a sleep health expert with two locations in the Vancouver area. One in Surrey by the Surrey Memorial Hospital and the second location in North Vancouver on Marine Drive.
Dr. Muir has been in private practice for over 32 years and she provided some helpful tips on how you can get a good nights sleep.
Quick Sleep Tips:
- Stick to a sleep schedule – Your vacation can be a good time to check the amount of sleep that you actually need to have a good nights sleep (this varies from person to person)
- You can nap as part of a healthy sleep routine, but try to limit your naps to 20 minutes before 4pm in the afternoon (so it doesn’t disrupt your sleep routine that evening)
- Beds are only for sleep and sex – If you are reading, watching TV or scrolling on your iPad – these should be done outside of the bedroom. They are too distracting for you to get to sleep. If you start to relate brain activities to the bedroom, it will make it harder for you to get to sleep each night.
- Second hand snoring is a real thing (I have experienced it!) – it can be a challenge for the partner on the receiving end of snoring, but there are solutions and Dr. Muir can help
Dr. Muir provided these Sleep Tips and Solutions:
- Sleep is critical for a healthy life. It is one of the 3 pillars of heath (nutrition, exercise and SLEEP)
- Any degree of sleep breathing interruption from snoring to sleep apnea can diminish your quality of life
- Oral appliance therapy can be used by the vast majority of people
- Testing and therapy are customized to you and patients do NOT need a referral to schedule a visit with Dr. Muir.
Healthy Snacks On the Go
McLean’s Meats – Is the only Beef Jerky and Turkey Jerky in Canada that is truly preservative-free: no preservatives or nitrites from cultured celery extracts.
Excellent protein snack.
Vega – Nutrition on-the-go. Life is busy. You want the ability to get all the nutrition you need to keep you fueled for all of your activities, but don’t have the time to make a big delicious healthy meal for yourself.
Blend a simple smoothie using 1 scoop of Vega One OR toss a Vega Protein Snack Bar in your bag, purse for all those car rides and busy days!
20 grams plant-based protein
50% DV of 8 vitamins and minerals
Antioxidant vitamin C
Probiotics (1 billion CFUs bacillus coagulans)
Certified Organic by Pro-Cert
Blueberries are full of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, A and E, as well as potassium, calcium and magnesium, blueberries are super good for you.
A few decades ago, all eyes turned towards antioxidants which help neutralize harmful-by products in the body called ‘free-radicals.
Blueberries are at the top of the antioxidant list — earning the nickname ‘#1 Super-food’. Ongoing research links the health benefits of blueberries to improved treatment outcomes in a large number of age-related illnesses — such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, cardiovascular illnesses and diabetes.
British Columbia, Canada is ranked third in terms of worldwide production. The season starts in July and goes through to the end of August (depending on the weather – into September). Fresh or frozen the taste is amazing and the health benefits are unmatched.
A 250 ml (1 cup) serving of blueberries – about the size of a tennis ball, contains 3.6 grams of dietary fiber, virtually no fat, and just 80 calories.
Fresh blueberries should be stored covered in the refrigerator and will keep fresh up to 10 days. Only wash just before using. The silvery sheen (or “bloom”) found on the skin of blueberries is a naturally occurring compound that helps protect the fruit. This why you should only wash blueberries right before you’re going to eat them.
Powered by Nature. Ingredients: 1400 hours of sunshine, 28 rainstorms, 42 days of gentle breezes, glacier-fed river water, 944,735 square kilometers of fresh BC air, one bee and dedicated BC blueberry growers.
Available throughout BC, Alberta and can be found in some Ontario supermarkets – fresh and frozen.
Health Benefits of Coffee
- Promotes mental sharpness and acts as an antioxidant
- Studies say can coffee can offset everyday pain and improve sports performance
- Some studies say it improves weight loss too
Check out my friends at Our City Tonight and stay tuned for more of my Lifestyle Episodes on everything beautiful, fun and healthy in Vancouver!
I would love to hear your healthy food and wellness ideas and questions 🙂 my social links are below:
Visit Sacha daily at SachaD.com