As we know Somatic psychology is a form of therapy which focuses on somatic experience. It’s a body-centered therapy which looks at the connection of your body and mind. It uses physical therapies and psychotherapy for holistic healing. Therapists use mind and body exercises. They also use physical techniques to help release tension. This tension negatively impacts your emotional and physical well-being.
How does Somatic
The theory behind
somatic psychology is that the body, mind, spirit, and emotions are connected
to each other. Because of this, the stress of the past traumatic and emotional
events affects our central nervous system. It can also cause changes in our
body and our body language. This results in changing our facial expressions,
posture, and physical pain.
By developing awareness
of the body and mind, we are able to release anger, frustration, tension, and
other emotions we have in our body. These emotions may have come from our past
negative experiences. The purpose of this is to help us relieve from the pain
and stress which prevent us from engaging in our life completely. Here’s how it
treatment starts with a counselor getting to understand why a patient is
looking for healing. The counselor asks about the experiences that have caused
their health status currently. The first session with the counselor may or may
not cover this part yet. It depends on how much the trauma is and if the client
is okay with it.
is a collaborative therapy. This means that it begins by deciding on the
appropriate approach. Sometimes, somatic psychology treatment consists of
interacting and talking. This involves going over the patient’s physical
presentation, emotions, and thoughts.
healing process takes time, even though many clients want to relieve their
physical and mental symptoms as soon as possible. Body experiences abruptly
change positively. These changes catch the clients off guard. Patients should
know that whenever the positive changes take place, negative feedback follows.
That’s because there’s an attempt to change the patients’ current way of
techniques show the patients how to create awareness between their body and
mind. Doing this helps them learn how they can ease chronic pains. If the
confusion or trauma in the patient is eliminated, the chronic pain diminishes.
This resolves a lot of emotional and mental suffering.
is a link between the body, mind, and spirit. If one of the elements is offset,
then it may result in a chain reaction. Building a deep connection with oneself
can increase the patient’s harmony and balance in life. When someone is
undergoing tension in their chest, neck, back, or shoulders, it may be the
aftermath of tension and stress. This is caused by a past event.
releasing negative energy, the patient discovers a tranquil state of mind. This
takes the pressure off the physical manifestation. When the patients release
their traumatic memories, they can eliminate the tension caused by their state
When is Somatic
psychology is known to be very helpful to many people. But when is it used?
help people who have suffered from stress, depression, and anxiety.
help people who are suffering from addiction, relationship problems,
grievances, and trauma and abuse.
help people who have digestive disorders, chronic physical pain, and other
medical problems. There are those who used the traditional remedies for
these issues but didn’t feel better. Therapy techniques can be used for both
group and individual therapy settings.
What to Expect?
combines talk therapy and other forms of physical therapy. The therapists help
revive those memories of traumatic experiences. They also pay attention to any
of your physical responses after recovering the memory.
This uses physical
techniques like deep breathing, meditation, and relaxation exercises. These
activities are used to help relieve the symptoms. Other activities that can
also be used are adjunctive physical techniques. These techniques include
dancing, yoga, exercising, and other types of movement, massage, and vocal
How to look For a
Somatic therapy is
integrated into other counseling psychotherapy practices. When looking for a
therapist, there are different factors that you need to consider. Is the
therapist licensed? Does he or she have expertise with mental health and
somatic therapy techniques? Does the therapist have an appropriate educational
background? Below are some tips that you can follow when you look for a somatic
- Search smart: Finding a therapist requires research. You can streamline this process by asking for referrals from friends and family members. If referrals aren’t available, you can search through Google. Read through each website and check out the reviews. To narrow your search, you can make a list of the characteristics that you think are necessary.
- Shop around:.As soon as you’ve found two or three potential somatic therapists, you can start shopping around. Identify how they react to your situation and how you interact with each other. Just like any relationship, your therapist may look great on paper, but the connection may not be there.
- Confirm the price and make sure it’s right: Therapy can be costly. Some of them take insurance but some are private fee-based. Some offer a sliding scale who adjust the fees based on the income. Before you hire a therapist, make sure to get the pricing information upfront.
In case the insurance
doesn’t cover your mental health treatment, try to ask for referrals for
psychotherapy students with expert supervisors. This helps you ensure mental
health care at the cost which won’t hurt your wallet.
- Don’t just settle with talk therapy: Straight talk therapy doesn’t always work for everybody, especially those who already tried in the past. There are a lot of alternative options that you can go for. Somatic therapy is among these alternatives.
- Use technology: There are high-tech e-therapies that you can go for, especially if you’re not available to do it in person. These therapies can be done through Skype or via app-based texting services. Certain apps match clients with therapists from the roster and provide them unlimited texting. The cost for this is cheaper compared to traditional therapies.