We live in the fast lane of an ever-changing world, running in place while trying to catch up with ever-changing technology. Everyday we face enormous challenges juggling finances, family, career, and relationships which is exhausting because it feel like we’re running on empty. Keeping up with the hectic pace produces high anxiety and stress, the killjoys of life. And with anxiety and stress, we become wired, disconnected, sometimes numb, and out of control while our self-esteem plummets to new lows.
We become vey mechanical and end up living in our heads when we were created to live from our hearts.
It has been said that everything is within us; the peace, the power and the
transforming presence of love to live a healthy, happy, and fulfilling life.
But how do we get from a place of stress and anxiety, to connect with that place of peace and power within? How do we restore balance and reclaim our innate life force to live freely and fully?
What is Meditation?
Meditation is a practice of aligning your mind, body and spirit by going deep within to access the power of your belief to create what you truly desire. Guided meditation, deep relaxation and mind-body techniques are not passing fads, trends, or New Age nonsense. They are researched and proven approaches that have lasting benefits for radiant health, happiness and self-empowerment.
How Does Guided Meditation Work?
With guided meditation, you don’t need to know how to meditate. All that’s required is that you listen, and you’ll move effortlessly into the renewing waters of your subconscious mind. The subconscious mind has control over the 37.2 trillion cells of your body, and also regulates and connects all 12 systems that keep you alive and functional, including the cardiovascular (heart), endocrine gland, respiratory, nervous, immune, circulatory, digestive, lymphatic (detoxing), muscular, skeletal, reproductive and urinary systems. That is truly impressive and should never taken for granted.
It’s All In Your Subconscious Mind!
Your subconscious mind is a power plant of raw creative energy that can be harnessed and directed toward healing, self-improvement and even help you achieve spiritual growth.
Your subconscious operates on belief. It is tuned in, 24/7, to your thoughts, words, feelings, attitudes and moods, and it will respond to all of them — even if they are contradictory or negative.
You must be mindful and disciplined not to feed your subconscious mind with negative thoughts or negative speech. (“I’m tired. I’m bored. I give up. I can’t. I will never heal. What is wrong with me”) Whatever you think, feel or sense, it will be communicated to all your cells and manifests in your body.
Your job is to consciously implant a consistently clear Intention or picture of your desired goal. “I radiate perfect health and well-being.” That way, your subconscious mind will conspire with your desire to create it — as long as you believe it.
Meditation is the way to access the power of your subconscious mind, and forge those intentions, images and positive goals into both your imagination and your experience. This is the creation mechanism of divine intelligence that is installed in every soul.
What are the Hormonal and Cellular Effects of Meditation?
Both guided meditation and deep relaxation have a number of amazing effects on your body and hormones.
- Meditation slows down brain wave activity and subdues stress all the while triggering human growth hormones (HGH) . HGH helps regulate your metabolism, stimulate fat cells to reduce the amount of stored fats, promote protein synthesis in cells, and play a role in regulating your blood sugar.
- Meditation helps calm the adrenals and allow them to rest, relieving them from over-producing cortisol — the stress hormone — which has a devastating effect on your thyroid function and the ability to lose weight.
- Meditation takes your endocrine system out of a state of high alert. Hormonal secretion becomes regulated and all of your hormonal systems — thyroid, adrenals, sex hormones etc — have an opportunity to come back into balance and restore your soul.
- Both meditation and relaxation allow your body to truly rests, and that’s when you restore balance and renew vitality throughout your entire body. That is not always the case with sleep. Meditation also improves the quality of your sleep as it quells the endless chatter of your mind.
- Meditation alkalizes your system, balancing out acidity that has accrued through the overactivity of your analytical mind and the fear-based thinking that generates stress hormones.
- Meditation decreases inflammation at the cellular level neutralizing acidosis and minimizing pain.
In The Zone Of Power Over Yourself & Your Life
Just by being in a meditative state, your mind becomes still, clear and reflective. Fear and anxiety, the two major causes of stress, subside. Your heart rate slows down as your blood pressure regulates itself into the “normal range.” You feel calm and more confident, in touch with your own strength and power. That awful feeling of being vulnerable or overwhelmed subsides. Psychologically you feel more self-assured and in control of yourself again. Your mind-body-spirit connection is now aligned and you experience that, “Ahhhh….” — peace of mind and sense of well-being.
As you deepen your meditative state with regular practice, you’ll find that meditation:
- Alleviates anxiety, depression, and negative attitudes
- Reduces fatigue and exhaustion
- Puts you in touch with your confidence, joy, enthusiasm, and self- worth
- Improves brain function and actually lights up your mind
- Brings you back to being heart centered and lovable
These are just a few of the many powerful benefits of a 15 to 20 minutes of daily practice. Guided Meditation and deep relaxation will help you to train your brain to slow down, enjoy life, and accept yourself. So take back your power and get control over yourself and your life! It is the most important investment you can make in yourself.
Originally published at medium.com