A midlife crisis is a transition that occurs in an individual’s middle age affecting identity and self-confidence. This age group is 45 – 65 years old. The midlife crisis lasts for 3 -10 years in males and 2-5 years in females. What causes a midlife crisis?
The following brings a midlife crisis:
- Shortcomings of accomplishments in life.
- Inevitable mortality.
- Childhood trauma
The Effects of the midlife crisis include depression, anxiety, lifestyle changes, desire to achieve youthfulness. However, to maintain good health, you shouldn’t turn to either denial, anger, or withdrawal. This article will highlight the best approach to handling the situation for minimal damage to your life.
Are you ready?
Signs Of Midlife Crisis
Below are some of the significant symptoms that you are experiencing a midlife crisis.
- Lack of interest in sex.
- Unsettlement brought by an overwhelming sense of loss.
- Bleak vision of your future.
- Constant boredom.
- Overly concern about your appearance or total neglect of the same.
- The shift in personality trait brought by a decrease in estrogen hormone five to 10 years before menopause.
- Making unusual life choices about your money and career, with a desire to live life to the fullest.
- A desire to have an extramarital affair(if married) due to heightened sexuality urge.
- Overly concern about body appearance.
- A Feeling of depression.
- Overly nostalgic about your youth.
- Display of teen-like rebellion, which includes more drinking and substance abuse.
- The feeling of needing to spend time in isolation or with a particular group of people
Most of us will undoubtedly pass through a midlife crisis. The best that you can do is learn how to cope with it. Here are the best ways to overcome the challenges associated with the midlife crisis without wrecking your life and losing everything you will have or have worked for.
Counseling is important. Once you notice the signs mentioned above, it’s advisable to seek professional assistance before you ruin your life.
Live a healthy life
Turning to substance abuse will put you under immense pressure. What’s the best thing to do? You should lead a balanced lifestyle of regular exercise, minimum alcohol consumption, and a balanced diet.Healthy living will make you age gracefully.
Set new life goals
At 45 years, you still have many years ahead of you. You can set new life goals to get you by. Create a bucket list, visit places you long to visit, create a new passion in life, anything that will give your life a new meaning.
In as much as you may fear facing a midlife crisis, you should be brave to share your feelings with those close to you to help you through it. If you have children, it’s time to keep them close to you as they will give you comfort as you age gracefully. In the long run, If you take the actions outlined above, you will have total control of your life.