How to Overcome a Mid Life Crisis
I bet you have heard the phrase…
What’s a midlife crisis?
An inevitable transition which occurs in an individual’s middle age affecting identity and self-confidence.
This age group is of 45 – 65 years old.
How long does it last?
The midlife crisis last for 3 -10 years in male and 2-5 years in the female.
Midlife crisis, commonly mistaken with stressors, which can occur at any age of an individual, caused by life-changing events such as loss of job or death of a loved one.
What causes a midlife crisis then?
This psychological crisis is brought about by:
- Shortcomings of accomplishments in life.
- Inevitable mortality.
- Work or lack of a job.
- Childhood trauma
Effects of the midlife crisis include but not limited to:
- Feeling of depression
- Making of drastic changes in lifestyle
- The desire to achieve youthfulness
If you are approaching the age mentioned above, I know you are worried about how it might turn out.
The last thing you should resort to are:
- Denial. Fighting the reality that you are aging.
- Anger arising from the inability to manage challenges associated with the midlife crisis.
- Withdrawal. Distancing yourself will make things worse for you.
In this article, I am going to highlight the best approach to handling the situation for minimal damage to your life.
Are you ready?
Signs Of Midlife Crisis
Below are some of the significant symptoms that you are experiencing a midlife crisis.
They are categorized based on gender.
- Lack of interest in sex.
- Unsettlement brought by an overwhelming sense of loss.
- The bleak vision of your future.
- Constant boredom.
- Overly concern about your appearance or total neglect of the same.
- The shift in personality trait brought by a decrease in estrogen hormone five to 10 years before menopause
- Making unusual life choices about your money and career, with a desire to live life to the fullest.
- A desire to have an extramarital affair if married due to heightened sexuality urge.
- Overly concern about body appearance.
- A Feeling of depression.
- Overly nostalgic about your youth.
- Display of teen-like rebellion which includes more drinking and substance abuse.
- A deep sense of remorse coming from unachieved life goals.
- The feeling of needing to spend time in isolation or with a particular group of people
As of 2018, statistics put average life expectancy at 74 years for women and 70 years for men.
What does this mean?
Most of us will undoubtedly pass through a midlife crisis.
The best that you can do is learn how to cope through it.
Here are the best ways to overcome the challenges associated with the midlife crisis without wrecking your life and losing everything you will have or have worked for.
Give credit to the challenges associated with midlife crisis
If you are someone who doesn’t like sharing your feeling, the feelings associated with the midlife crisis bashed will make it worse and will lead to great depression since all avenues of speaking out will have been closed.
Counseling is important.
Once you notice the signs mentioned above, its advisable to seek professional assistance before you ruin your life.
Seek divine intervention
You should become more reflective by seeking an external source of strength.
For you to enjoy the present life, you must find peace with the inevitability of mortality and seeking spirituality will do you great.
Live a healthy life
Turning to substance abuse will put you under immense pressure.
What’s the best thing to do?
You should lead a balanced lifestyle of regular exercise, minimum alcohol consumption, and a balanced diet.
Healthy living will make you age gracefully.
Nurture the relationship with your spouse
If you are married, the chances are that your partner is undergoing a midlife crisis too.
The best thing to do is nurture each other to emerge through this phase strong individually and as a couple.
Renew stress management strategies
Each one of us has a way we manage our stress.
These include meditation, yoga, nature walk, reading among others.
When undergoing a midlife crisis, it’s best you renew these strategies to help you through the challenges.
At the midlife stage, you will be feeling a lot of negativity in your life.
To overcome that, you will have for the good in life, focus on your life achievements rather than failures.
Set new life goals
At 45 years, you still have many years ahead of you.
You can set new life goals to get you by.
Create a bucket list, visit places you long to visit, create a new passion in life, anything that will give your life a new meaning.
In as much as you may fear to face a midlife crisis, you should be brave to share your feelings with those close to you to help you through it.
If you have children, its time to keep them close to you as they will give you comfort as you age gracefully.
In the long run, If you take the actions outlined above, you will have total control of your life.