Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present.Albert Camus
Feeling out of whack lately? No wonder. Our lives, as we used to know them, are not working properly because our life’s natural balance and order (or what we had of balance and order) has been upset, turned over, and feels like constant chaos.
Spending the last month sheltering in place has been a pretty nonproductive time for a lot of individuals who, like me, had visions of accomplishing so much more than we have been able to do in our old reality. My work like so many others has been cut back, postponed or even cancelled.
So much feels out of my control and this week I decided to shift that focus and look at the things I have control over and figure out what things would help me get back in whack.
Here are my top five actions I’ve chosen to take:
- Keep focused on things I can control: How I spend my time, who I communicate with, and how I take care of myself: mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally.
- Be present in the present moment. As Debasish Mridha says, “The future belongs to those who learn from the past and live brilliantly in the present moment.”
- Add preflection to my reflection time. This action is very similar to developing your intention for a situation.
- Be very, very conscious of what I read and watch. Be informed, but not obsessed. I notice when I cut back on my media exposure, I feel much, much better.
- Practice self-compassion. Look after me. It’s the number one action that is helping me get through this time. We all know the saying that we must take care of ourselves before we can care for others. I’m living it right now.
I have come to believe that caring for myself is not indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival.Audre Lorde
What actions are you choosing to do for you during this time?
Written by Pat Obuchowski