Do you look longingly out your cubicle window, wishing that you could be making your own dreams come true, working for yourself, or doing absolutely nothing at all like the people outside? Well, never say never. We are so lucky to live in a capitalist democracy and if you have a good idea, courage and a bit of luck, you can do it. Here are five steps to escape from your cubicle.
- Dream Big – This is the part that is hard when you are stressed and overwhelmed by your current life. People always say that it is hard to dream about what you want to do when you have to keep up the hustle. All your energy goes to paying bills, keeping your boss happy and maybe keeping your kids fed. Take a half-hour each day and go sit outside or in a coffee shop and write down things that give you that “spark” of excitement. Write down ideas that come to your mind no matter how crazy they are. After time your notes will form a plan, and then a path to your freedom. Combine ways you can do something every day that makes you money and makes you happy.
- Survey Potential Customers – Once you have an idea for a business, float the idea around to friends and family that might be interested. Find out how much they might pay for your services and make a list of their feedback. Do they love the idea? How might they enhance or build on the idea to suit their needs? Have they seen anything like your product or service in the market and how can yours be better? You are almost there! Keep up your momentum to cubicle freedom.
- Build a Business Plan – What is your plan of attack? You need to reserve six to twelve months of money to live off of and invest. Have you secured customers already? What will you do if it all goes south? Do you have confidence that you can get a new job when it’s over or do you know if you could work part-time at your job until it rockets? There are three ways that a company goes bankrupt. 1. They run out of money. 2. Run out of money or 3. Run out of money. So don’t run out of money, boo!
- Build a Backup Plan for When Your Other Plan Fails – Mark my words, your plan will fail so you need a backup plan. Things will be close to happening and you’ll be out of money or you’ll find a twist to your old plan to make it better. Be flexible and nimble and go where the money leads you. Money is like the little forest beasties that come and show you to the clearing and success. Follow the adorable monies on your adventure!
- The Only Way Your Fail is by Quitting – Don’t quit! There is always another angle, investor, idea, or opportunity, so don’t quit. The adventure of getting out of your cubicle and enjoying the outside where all the happy people are is success enough. How many people follow their dreams? How many people have the courage to reach for happiness? As long as you don’t get wiped out of money and courage – you’re always in the game. Get out of that cubicle and love your life!