One of the things you need to understand about camping is that while it’s one of the most popular recreational activities out there, it’s also one of the most dangerous. A thirst for adventure is not the only thing you need to bring when you’re camping – you also need to bring all the tools and materials that can help you survive out there.
In this article, we’ve got everything you need to know about one of the most versatile tools you can ever bring when you’re camping: camping pocket knives.
What makes camping pocket knives special
There are plenty of knives out there, and obviously, you can use any of these knives on your camping trip. However, camping pocket knives are one of a kind. Many camping enthusiasts consider them special for three main reasons.
- Multipurpose. Unlike regular knives, they tend to be multipurpose, which means that you can use them for a variety of reasons.
- Very handy. Thanks to their size, camping pocket knives are the perfect tools when you’re out there in the wild. They can be easily concealed wherever you want, which means that it’s easy to just have them within arm’s reach.
- Lightweight. Aside from their small size, camping pocket knives are also quite lightweight. This means that they’re easier to bring on camping trips when all you want is to lighten the load just a little bit.
Why you need a camping pocket knife
1. You can cut things with it
It’s so simple that it almost sounds stupid, but one of the reasons why you need a camping pocket knife is because you can cut things with it. When you’re out there, there will be lots of times that you will need to cut something, be it a rope, a wire, or another camping material. And you better believe that not having anything to cut those things with will be a huge pain in the neck.
2. You can use it for first aid
You never know what can happen out there in the wilderness. You may not want to think of all the worst-case scenarios, but honestly, if you want to be prepared (and not to mention, realistic), you have to think of everything before you go camping. Imagine if someone gets injured while hiking or taking a trail? What if someone breaks their ankle or gets a huge wound on their knee? You might need something sharp to cut a gauze strip, or prepare medicine, or basically just do the usual first-aid procedures. And not having a knife, in some cases, could be a matter between life and death.
3. You need a knife for cooking
How many delicious things can you really cook without using a knife? When you’re camping, you’ll have to prepare your own food, and that includes using something sharp on them for a multitude of reasons. Have you ever tried doing that without a knife? Whether it’s for cleaning the fish or cutting large chunks of meat, a camping pocket knife is one thing that you’ll be grateful you brought on your trip.
4. You can use it for hunting or fishing
Not everyone is able to take enough sustenance with them when they’re camping. Maybe they underestimated themselves, or maybe they just happened to forget some of their food, who knows. If you weren’t able to bring enough supplies, you can also use your knife to hunt or fish for your survival. It won’t be as effective as a larger knife, but at least you’ll have something to aid you.
5. You can protect yourself with a knife
If worse comes to worst, a pocket knife is a handy tool to have for self-defense. It’s small enough to be concealed but dangerous enough to cause some damage if needed. Whether it’s an animal or another human, you can use a pocket knife to get yourself out of a sticky situation in the wilderness. Just make sure that your knife is always sharp and you’re good to go.
The best tips about using camping pocket knives
That said, not all camping pocket knives are created the same. Some have different uses, while some are on an entirely different level. Here are some general tips about using camping pocket knives!
- You can choose from different pocket knives depending on what you’re planning to use them on.
- Don’t rush when buying a knife. After all, you’re the one who’s going to bring it on your camping trip, so find one that suits you perfectly.
- Before bringing a camping knife with you, familiarize yourself first with your local laws regarding the usage of such tools. You don’t want to find yourself accidentally breaking the law or something. You know what they say, ignorance of the law does not excuse anyone from it.
- Always keep your knife sharp, as you wouldn’t want to be in an unexpected situation and not have your trusty blade to back you up. What use is a pocket knife in the forest if the blade is all rusty and dull?
- Clean your knife after every use. You don’t know what you’re going to be using it for next, so it’s better to be prepared.
- When you’re not using your knife, keep it in a safe place where you can easily access it if you need to. Preferably somewhere that’s not humid or wet, as that could damage the blade rather quickly.
How’s that for an introductory guide about camping pocket knives? Hopefully, you learned a thing or two from this article. Now you know how you can put that knife to good use! Have fun camping!