How exactly does one get in their own way?
Why would anyone do that?
But we do. We all do. We express a desire to move forward, to CHANGE and then we procrastinate, we spin our wheels, we find excuses … we do not move forward – that’s how we get in our own way.
IF you find that you are not reaching the goals that YOU have set for yourself, and these are goals that matter to you on any level, you should consider getting out of your way. Here’s how:
1. Clearly define these goals that you want to meet. Write them down in black and white. No ambiguity. Be as specific as possible.
2. Understand your WHY. Why do these goals matter to you? Why is it important that you reach them? What changes in your life if you do accomplish them? What happens if you don’t? Understand your WHY.
3. Find your support people. You need people who will sit you down and ask the hard questions; are you saying you want to go to graduate school but you never have time to take the GRE? You need people who will come with you because you’re doing it afraid and they’ll cheer you on. Yes, everything you want does live on the other side of fear – so you need people who will walk with you through your fear. Enlist their help, tell them what you need as much as you know.
4. Most important; all change starts on the inside. When you can see it, and see it well, when you can see yourself there, living this dream, it will be within your reach.
5. Now go. Start. Move. Today. Now. Nothing changes until you change something. Take the first step … and then the next one and the next.
Do it today. Change your life. Change the world. And then come tell me about it.