Being able to communicate effectively is an important skill. Whether it’s in professional life or personal relationships, effective communication is that the key to success. When you have good communication skills you can easily influence people in doing a particular task. It is one of the soft skills that will always remain high in the job sector. It helps in building good relationships with other people. It reduces conflicts.
Now a questions might come in your mind that how can you have a good communication skill ?
Many people just say that you can have good communication skills, when you have a good hold in a particular language especially English, which is not the right perspective. Communication is lot more than just having a good hold in a particular language. Communication refers to a process when you interpret someone’s message and then convey a message to that person whether verbally or non- verbally.
So, there have to be some of the elements that will help you in developing good communication skills. There are some elements, which are essential in having good communication skills.
- Listening: In this busy world, no one has time to listen, everyone wants to speak their words and get their jobs done at the right time. So if you try to listen to someone else’s problem you will probably get an idea of what message to convey, which will also help you in proper planning. It is the first step in the communication process. Always try to listen, observe and understand the message to be conveyed to you.
- Non-verbal Communication: Communication is of two types, one is verbal communication and the other is non-verbal communication. Non- verbal communication is a type of communication where you communicate with the help of body languages like postures, gestures, and eye movement. It is not mandatory to have communication verbally, you can communicate non-verbally. There are no restrictions on it. There might be a situation when you are not in a way to communicate with others verbally. In this case, you need to have good non-verbal communication skills to communicate with others.
- Being Clear: Sometimes the person with whom you are communicating may have doubts regarding the message you conveyed. So you need to convey your message in such a way so that your message is easily understood. It will help in reducing misinterpretation of your message. It will also reduce conflicts when you are working in a group.
- Being Concise: People these days have less attention span. It may be because they are busy with some other tasks or have a busy schedule. When you face this kind of situation, you need to talk less and present more. You need to present your ideas fully by applying fewer words. So, try to make sure to use proper and appropriate words while giving a message to others, as this makes it easy to understand.
- Being Confident: When you speak with confidence, you can influence people in making the job to be done. It helps in building trust with others. It is one of the qualities of leadership. It will also help in building a positive approach towards anything. This also helps you in showing you as a person with problem-solving abilities. For example: even if someone is having a negative approach towards anything, he or she will start having a positive approach towards that thing. It can also be said as non-verbal communication, conveying the right message.
- Being Personable: When you use a friendly tone, you develop a sort of relationship with the one you are communicating with. The person starts taking interest in you and also starts thinking of you as a person of relatable nature. It also helps in persuasion and influencing people in making the job to be done. Smiling can also be a good way to become friendly with people. It is a type of non-verbal communication that provides a positive approach towards building good communication.
- Being Patient: You need to remain patient instead of hurrying while conveying your message. You need to be patient, to compose words while conveying your message. In this way, you will never go out of words and have a good flow of verbal communication. Rushing or hurrying can create a bad impression as you start mumbling. You need to listen to others’ words with patience and compose your words perfectly before you convey the message. You need to have the patience to have good communication.
If you want to improve communication skills, these are some of the elements which you must work on. At first, you need to listen to others’ words with patience. After listening you need to properly compose your words before giving the message to others. You need to have good listening and non-verbal communication skills. Your message should be concise, clear, personable and while remaining confident and having patience during communication.