Have you been seeing all this meditation stuff on the internet lately or is it just me? Everywhere I look, I see articles, videos, how-to’s and YOU MUST MEDITATE posts and articles!
The thing is, I sometimes feel like I don’t even have the time to have lunch in peace. How can I manage meditation?
I’ve been struggling with this idea and been trying to find a solution for a while now. So, I did what had to be done: I sat down to meditate! It was so fun that I immediately knew that I must find a way to make meditation part of my daily life.
The question was clear, but the answer took a little longer to come to me!
When you are a busy mom, entrepreneur, 9–5-er, or anything else for that matter, taking time to catch your breath can seem an impossible task and it shouldn’t because, it will help us be better! More patience, more love, more calm, … Ya! I want this too!
Without further teasing, let me give you my ultimate guide to busy life meditation:
1. Have a sacred spot! Find a corner in your house that soothes your soul as soon as you walk in. Fill this space with cushions, a yoga mat, tiny Buddha statues, crystals, incense, etc. Fill this spot with as many or a little items as you want, but fill this spot with LOVE!
2. Have a notepad & pen! Yes, meditation should be a way to clear your mind, but sometimes you get a genius idea or suddenly remember that your kid has a birthday party to go to this weekend. Either way, having a notepad nearby allows you to jot down a few words and go back to your meditation instead of focusing on that thought so you don’t forget it.
3. Download a nature sound app! I love nature sounds when I meditate so I make sure to have something at my fingertips for this. You can also have a meditation playlist. PSST: If you don’t have the time to sit down, press play anyway. The soothing sounds or music will help you relax.
4. Use a timer! We often think that meditation has to be this hour long thing, but it doesn’t have to be. I set my timer to 5 minutes and that’s all my busy mom schedule allows (or, that I allow, but that’s another topic!) Knowing that I can breathe deep and meditate without always looking at my phone to see if I’m running over my time really helps to be in the moment. Once the timer goes off, open your eyes and take one last cleansing breath.
5. If you REALLY don’t have the time to sit down and meditate, take the time to practice deep breathing. Sitting or standing — take 3 to 5 deep breaths. That’s it! You can now go back to your day!
6. Take it further by choosing an angel card! Angel or tarot cards are a must in your quiet corner. I love the cards by Doreen Virtue. Take a deep breath, ask for a message and pick a card. Easy! You can pick a card after your 5 minute meditation or do this on its own.
7. Bonus points: Build a sacred spot for your child. Instead of a time out chair, put them in the chill out corner! Again, fill this corner with LOVE! Big cushions, aromatherapy, angel cards, favorite teddy bear, etc. It will help them settle without all the screaming and you’ll be teaching them valuable knowledge.
Originally published at medium.com