Are you stir crazy yet?
By now, you’ve heard that unemployment claims are now up to 22M. This is enough to unnerve even the toughest among us. My fingers are still crossed (like I’m sure yours are!) that our world’s health and economies will begin an uptick soon.
As a career strategist, one of my goals right now is to help people get back to work as quickly as possible. Whether you’re engaged in or anticipating a job search, it’s important that you take care of yourself so you can show up at your best for yourself, your family, and those you encounter for your job search.
If you’re really stressing right now, here are 22 things you can do to alleviate some of the stress, have a little fun, and remain productive:
- Remember, you’ve survived 100% of your toughest days.
- Look in the mirror and give yourself a big hug and big smile.
- Write down 10 things for which you have to be grateful.
- The weather’s breaking. Take a social distancing walk and enjoy nature.
- Take a bubble bath with candles and soft music.
- Treat yourself to your favorite salty or sweet snack.
- Listen to the birds sing when you wake up.
- Sing your favorite song in the shower.
- Pull out some old family photos to enjoy.
- Download a book and listen to it.
- Challenge yourself to learn a new skill (like cutting your own hair 😊).
- Do something nice for an elderly neighbor.
- Call someone you know who lives alone and may be struggling right now.
- Say a prayer.
- Read something inspirational.
- Do some spring cleaning.
- Follow your favorite comedian on social media.
- Start a social media support group.
- Host a virtual happy hour with friends.
- Do something to support our first responders (donate food, make masks, etc.).
- Play some board games (puzzles are a great way to occupy your mind and time!).
If you can help it, don’t over stress; it only makes things worse. Try to avoid it at all costs.
MAKE it a great day!