It’s so easy to get caught up in your current situation…
- You’re not happy in your current job.
- You’re too “comfortable” at your company so it’s just easy to stay put.
- Maybe you had dreams and goals when you were younger and now you feel like you’re too old to make a big change.
Whatever your situation that you feel stuck in, I’m here to tell you that you are not limited by it…but you may be limited by your belief about it! “Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right.” — Henry Ford. I love this quote because it’s so true! Think about it for a minute…if you believe that you are too young to start your own business, or you think you have just the right youthful energy to take on a new venture, you are right!, If you believe you’re too old to change careers, or have many great years of experience that any company would be lucky to have, you are right! We are only limited by our beliefs in our own selves and abilities.
So, what can you do today to shift your thinking and start believing that you can?
- Take an honest look at what you’ve accomplished so far in life — those things didn’t occur due to sheer luck, you made them happen.
- Even if you are not currently in a great place, think back to when you had a success, what was your role in it? Can you tap back into that mindset now?
- Take the VIA Character Strengths test. You will get a rank order of your strengths and you can use this to create a more meaningful life for yourself.
- Check out my new favorite person, Mel Robbins. She has some amazing techniques to get out of a stuck mindset, and more.
- Find a coach or mentor to work with who can help you see how incredible you really are and help you onto your path.
I’ve had the honor of working with some amazing people and helping them find their way. I love what I do, it’s an awesome feeling to know that you’ve helped someone onto a path to a more fulfilling life. I recently received a thank-you letter from a former client. When she first reached out to me, she was in a really desperate situation, and feeling hopeless. Working together, she discovered her strengths, her passion, and found focus, all of which allowed her to create a new life for herself. Her note literally brought tears to my eyes. She is now working at a job she loves, is living an independent life (unimaginable when we first started working together), and is truly at peace for the first time in a very long time. If she had remained stuck in the belief that she was limited by her then-circumstances she would never had achieved any of this. Did I mention I love what I do?
I wasn’t always so fortunate in my work world. I’ve had many different jobs, some fantastic, some not so much. But belief in myself kept me going, through good times and bad, so I know it works and can work for you too.
Talk to you soon.
Originally published at www.ciaragogan.com on March 8, 2017.
Originally published at medium.com