Success and wellbeing are two things that much have been written about.
What habits you should implement for more success and wellbeing.
What ways to have more success and wellbeing.
What you should do and what you should definitely not do.
Some writing has even stated that what got you to where you are at now will not get you to where you want to go. Whatever place or state that might be. Probably a lot of truth to that one. Given that the world is changing so much and the only thing we know is that there will be changes.
But we must all be aiming for something. And some kind of success, however we define our success.
Therefore, in this post it doesn´t matter what success you are aiming for. I just assume that you are aiming for something that you have defined as important to you. Whether in work or life.
Following are 20 questions that I think, and I think you agree with me, are good for you. If you can answer 80% of the questions with a yes, then you are doing pretty good. And thus likely to sustain current success, and even grow it even further.
Are you ready?
Being your own leader starts with knowing yourself well. Know where you want to go. Know your feelings. Being able to lead yourself in various circumstances. Just overall leading yourself. Even though you may be working for others or if you have a boss. Only when you get good at leading yourself you can expect to be good at leading others.
1.Do you take time on a regular basis to connect with yourself? To know you and your values well. At any given time (hopefully you have been growing and developing over the years)?
2. Do you know your capabilities and strengths, and how you can best use it?
3. Do you know where you want to go? Are you able to steer yourself strategically in that direction?
4. Do you have enough self-discipline to stay focused?
5. Are you able to control or manage yourself? When communicating with others, your emotions and your behavior, in various circumstances?
6. Do you read as much as you want to, whether books, articles etc.?
7. Do you have a coach?
8. Do you have a mentor? Do you mentor to someone else?
9. Did you learn or start doing something new in the last 12 months. Something not related to your work (new language, hobby, sport…)?
10. Have you in the last 12 months stopped doing something you are good at (it can be a challenge to delegate or let go…)? And thus, created space to start doing something new? Something that is challenging to you in some new way. And helps you grow as a professional (new tasks, professional associations, volunteering, teach, publish articles…)?
11. Are you in a mastermind group?
12. Do you have an accountability partner? Someone who knows where you are headed and holds you accountable for getting there?
13. Do you show up for as many events at your professional association as you would want to?
14. Do you do something you find fun, outside of work? With friends or colleagues, at least 2–4 times a month?
15. Do you nurture well your relationships with friends and family?
Nice lady once said that to keep a lamp burning you need to put an oil in it. And in airplanes we all know to put the oxygen mask on ourselves before helping others.
16. Are you conscious about how you nourish yourself, both your body and your mind?
17. Do you exercise as much or as often as you would like to?
18. Are you getting enough sleep?
19. Do you meditate, practice mindfulness or go to yoga?
20. Do you make sure to take breaks during the day at work? Go for a walk, get a glass of water or joke around and laugh with your colleagues?
Hopefully you were able to answer 16 or more questions with a yes.
If not, then you only need to answer one question: Why don´t you do the things you know are good for you?
My book; Rekindling your spark: Strategy for better Self-Leadership is available on Amazon.
It includes various tips, tools and exercises.
Herdis Pala is an experienced HR Leader, Speaker, Internationally Certified Coach, Author and Business Consultant.
She works with organizations and leaders on 360° Success.
– Her most requested speaking topcis are:
Originally published at herdispala.com.
Originally published at medium.com