It has been rightly stated by Publilius Syrus that, “Good health and good sense are two of life’s greatest blessings”. In today’s day and age, in the race to get ahead and do our best, we are surrounded by constant stress and distractions. Thus, it is required to go an extra mile to maintain one’s health and mental balance. It has been established by multiple types of research that habits formed at an early age tend to be a contributing factor to how a person ages.
We have incorporated a list of a few quintessential habits that should be adopted by everyone in order to lead a healthy life. Since the list is non-exhaustive, we have curated 40 simple and easily adaptable daily habits that would directly focus on the physical as well as the mental well-being of an individual.
1. Waking up early – The most important benefit of getting enough sleep is to be well rested and more productive. Individuals, who wake up early, have more than one benefit of doing so. Other than getting more active hours in the day, they enjoy the benefit of being mentally more alert and in turn more productive.
2. Exercising regularly– Regular exercise enables are the person to be physically fit as well as boost their moods while maintaining their weight, toning muscles and be active.
3. Meditating– Meditation is to the mind, what exercise is to the body. A mere 10 minutes allotted to meditating in the day I said to result in increased concentration, calmer senses, reduced anxiety and heightened consciousness.
4. Laying off sugar– Sugar, being a highly addictive element by nature, should be avoided completely or consumed in moderation to have a healthy lifestyle. Eating sugar puts an individual at the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, inflammation and early aging. If you think that you have been consuming sugar in more than the normal quantity, it is always good to ask a doctor to check your sugar levels.
5. Drinking more water– Human body constitutes 70% water on an average. In order to energize the muscles and to enable a conventional flow of bodily functions, it is very important for a person to consume at least 6 to 8 glasses of water on a daily basis.
6. Being physically active– Lethargy acts as rust for a healthy body. Being physically active and having some amount of physical movement in one’s daily routine is very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
7. Eating a good breakfast– Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. As it is easy to ignore breakfast because of our fast pacing lives, it is the single most important meal which energizes the body to face the day which lies ahead. A good protein rich breakfast enables an individual to be active physically as well as alert mentally.
8. Maintaining a good body posture– Our posture is one of the first things people perceive about us. A good body posture improves circulation and flexibility along with boosting confidence.
9. Eating healthy snacks– Snacking between meals is something everyone has no control over. We cannot control urges but we can control what we eat. Consuming snacks like Fresh fruits and dry fruits provide the required energy boost to the body without adding to the calorie intake and prevent the stomach from being empty. This also helps an individual to keep their metabolism rate up.
10. Consuming healthy fats– The concept of all fats being bad for health is incorrect. Our body requires a specific amount of fats through the day to keep its normal functioning. Unsaturated fats found in walnuts, soybean flax seeds, fish etc. are fat which is good for a person’s health.
11. Having regular sex– Having regular sex increases healthy blood flow in the body, adds to the physical activity and boosts immunity. A sex drive is a sign of healthy psychological activity in the brain.
12. Sipping green tea– Green tea is known to be a rich source of antioxidants. When consumed regularly, it helps in replenishing the body by flushing out harmful toxins and clearing the digestive tract. Green tea also aids in weight management.
13. Being out in the sun– Exposure to sunlight enables the body to produce Vitamin D which is essential for several bodily functions. It can also help in elevating mood, improve blood pressure, and help with mild depression.
14. Using SPF induced creams/serums– In tropical climates and hot environs, the sun can be really harsh on the skin. This not only contributes to tan lines at the beach but can cause life threating cancerous melanomas. Sun protection factor (SPF) creams act as a temporary shield against the harmful Ultra Violet rays of the sun.
15. Consume citrus fruits– Citrus fruits are a source of vitamin C, which is required by the body for many functions. Vitamin c, also known as ascorbic acids, is rich in antioxidants. This helps in battling blood pressure and reduces the chance of occurrence of heart diseases.
16. Keeping a check on the intake of sodium– Sodium, extensively found in the common salt consumed by all of us, should always be consumed in moderation. Excess consumption of sodium results in increased blood pressure, water retention, heart failure or even a stroke.
17. Taking mineral and vitamin supplements– In order to provide the body with enough vitamins and minerals, it is essential to take supplements in addition to the regular diet. This ensures that the body gets its required dose.
18. Giving into cravings at times– It is important to treat one from time to time. Occasional meals rich in calories are stated to boost metabolism as well as perpetuate a feeling of satisfaction.
19. Occasional Fasting– Occasionally depriving the body of the usual diet gives the digestive system a break from its routine. This enables the digestive tract to relax and rejuvenate itself.
20. Eating a high protein diet– Protein has high satiety value and ensures adequate muscle production in the body. It is important for dealing with the replenishment as well as daily wear and tear of the cells.
Inculcating a few of the above mentioned positive habits can have a huge impact on one’s health in the long run. Not only will they help in maintaining the current health and well-being of a person, they will also ensure a healthy state of mind through the years. Apart from the tips mentioned above, people can always consult a doctor to keep their health in check.