As Louis CK once said, “everything’s amazing and nobody’s happy”. He’s right- you don’t have to be Da Vinci to notice the general sense of apathy in our world. Frankly, I’m done listening to the bearish BS that people promote that just isn’t true.
It’s nowhere more obvious than in the political climate. Scratch that… I don’t intend for this to be a political blog. Sorry.
Look, it’s not that the news media is lying — it’s just not a balanced view of what’s going on in the world. We are wired to eat it up so negative news is what they sell. Can you blame them?
What I do intend to do is create a blog that shines a genuine and positive perspective on the world (and in turn, will keep my hair on my head longer). I was raised to look at the glass half full and for some reason these days I have found it increasingly hard to do. My goal is to focus on the positive side of the equation and to give insight to some fundamental truths about where humanity really is going.
In my first post, I’ve collected some data to help state the case that we are living in the most exciting time to be alive. That’s right- it’s never been better. Driven by advances in technology, things are getting much better around the world at an accelerating rate.
Here are some stats to fill up your cup with optimism:
· Global life expectancy is improving dramatically.
· Growth is low, but more stable than ever.
· Real GDP is at all-time highs.
· Household net worth is at record highs.
· US households spend less on necessities than ever.
· The misery index is near 60 year lows.
· The rate of change in inflation is close to all-time lows.
· Child mortality has collapsed.
· The share of the world living in extreme poverty has collapsed.
· The cost of food has plummeted.
· We are experiencing exponential growth in technological advancements.
· Global deaths due to mass conflicts are sharply declining.
· Violent crimes in the USA are near 30 year lows.
· Homicide rates around the world are collapsing.
Sharing good news might seem like a small act. It can also pack a punch and provide people with a life raft in the sea of negativity. Besides, isn’t it time we steered our own boat? #positivenews
Follow Matthew on LinkedIn @https://www.linkedin.com/in/mattflannery/