2020 has been an unusual year, to say the least. The global pandemic has most of us working under new and different physical and emotional circumstances. Stressors and priorities have changed – who ever thought we would anguish planning a trip to the grocery store? Fortunately, many of us have seen a silver lining to this period, appreciating more family time, flexible schedules, home cooked meals and perhaps extra time to stop and smell the roses. So, what about YOU? Have you taken some time to consider your own Health and Well-Being? Are you taking time to take care of you? Are you feeling alone, frustrated or stuck, struggling to manage the “new normal” with things like food, weight, exercise, stress, sleep or work-life balance?
Surfing the virtual world, the field of Health and Wellness is overwhelming with so much contradictory health advice that we are often left wondering what’s really right. Many of us are inundated with Webinars, PowerPoints and on-line meetings but are craving connection with REAL people, REAL time. This could be the perfect moment to “put on your own mask first” by partnering with a Health Coach to benefit your life and the lives of those around you.
Here are 10 reasons why
- Health Coaching makes you feel good because its roots in positive psychology encourage positive thoughts and self-talk.
- Health coaching is highly personalized – just for you – and never a one-size-fits-all approach.
- A Health Coach is a mentor and guide certified to help you reach your own goals through positive, sustainable lifestyle changes, no quick fixes.
- Health Coaches break through the fads understanding the physical, emotional, behavioral, and nutritional lifestyles that promote health and prevent illness.
- Health coaches empower you take easy, incremental small steps toward your targets because they understand the science behind behavior and habit change.
- Health coaching is holistic so it integrates all domains, such as career and relationships, that affect your lifestyle.
- A health coach keeps you motivated and accountable like a personal cheerleader – always there to keep you motivated, inspired and moving forward.
- Health Coaches support change based on your reasons, on your terms, which means less resistance and greater likelihood of success.
- Working with a health coach helps increase self–awareness and boost confidence.
- Though you call the shots, you have a partner with whom to overcome obstacles.
And if that’s not enough….
- Strong evidence backs the effectiveness of Health Coaching for improving health, well-being and a variety of health conditions.
- Coaching remotely appears to be as effective as face-to-face coaching.
- COVID19 has heighted general health concerns and raised awareness of the importance to invest in our own heath and resilience.
- You just might have more time to take care of yourself right now living the “new normal”.
It’s time to put on your mask!
When we take care of ourselves and feel our best, we operate on a higher level and move through life more confidently, powerfully and happily. I cannot think of a better time to give a boost to our general outlook and attitude on life! Self-care involves recognizing our needs and taking responsibility to thoughtfully make choices about our lifestyle. Once that is achieved, we show up exponentially better in the world – for everyone. Partnering with a personal health coach is an enriching, life-changing experience that you owe to yourself. So what’s preventing you from putting on your mask right now? Be well and, please, put on your mask.
I wish to acknowledge and thank Dr Peter Grinspoon, M.D. for his inspiration and thoughts on the above. Peter, a physician, and Certified Health Coach, believes in the strong evidence backing its effectiveness for improving health and well-being. See his Harvard Medical School article “Health coaching is effective. Should you try it?”