Sage words from great thinkers can help ground us, inspire us, and put things into much-needed perspective. And the most memorable wisdom can come from many sources, from Socrates to Kamala Harris to Jonathan Van Ness.
This is the third part in Thrive’s quiz series: “Who Said It: Celebrity or Ancient Philosopher?” (Take the first and second quizzes here.) Enjoy seeing how many you can correctly match to their source — philosopher or celebrity?
1. “Everyone is a millionaire where promises are concerned.”
2. “You are never promised your next breath.”
3. “Love is the one thing I understand.”
4. “Life is short, and it is here to be lived.”
5. “If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart.”
6. “Do not be burdened by what has been when you can create what should be.”
7. “The happiness then. The pain now. That is the deal.”
8. “Some praise me, some blame me. I go the other way.”
9. “Call me friend, but keep me closer.”
10. “How you take care of yourself is how the world sees you.”
11. “Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.”
12. “Make the best use of what is in your power and take the rest as it happens.”
13. “Wise are those that learn lessons when things are easy as well. Foolish are those who would only rather count lessons when things are hard.”
14. “Sometimes you cannot see yourself clearly until you see yourself through the eyes of others.”
15. “You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.”
16. “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.”
17. “The successful warrior is the average man.”
18. “Do not plan for ventures before finishing what is at hand.”
1) Ovid, 2) Lenny Kravitz, 3) Socrates, 4) Kate Winslet, 5) Gautama Buddha, 6) Kamala Harris, 7) Anthony Hopkins, 8) Meera, 9) Billie Eilish, 10) Jonathan Van Ness, 11) Aeschylus, 12) Epictetus, 13) Pharrell Williams, 14) Ellen DeGeneres, 15) Michael Jordan, 16) Homer, The Odyssey, 17) Bruce Lee, 18) Euripides
Stay up to date or catch-up on all our podcasts with Arianna Huffington here.