Changing windows and doors is first and foremost, taking into account a certain number of criteria so as not to make mistakes. We will guide you step by step.
1. Why change windows?
Replacing your windows meets several needs:
· improve the acoustic and thermal insulation of your home and optimize your energy consumption thanks to the thermal performance of your window (the thermal performance of a window is expressed by the coefficient Uw expressed in W / m2.K. Plus this coefficient is lower, the better the insulation)
· Improve ventilation to enjoy natural air in complete safety, without having to open the windows wide, thanks to tilt-and-turn windows
· Change the style of windows to enhance your property
· Strengthen the security of your home
2. What mounting and opening for your window?
The choice of installation will depend on your wishes: creation or renovation. Here are the different types:
· Installation during renovation: installation on the old building
· Rebate installation: a new frame fits into the masonry
· Surface mounting: the frame is placed on the wall, adding the thickness of the thermal insulation
· Installation in a tunnel: the new frame of your window is installed in the thickness of the wall.
Side opening, the choice is wide. There are 4 types of opening:
· French opening: leading to the interior, it is not suitable for a small room
· Sliding opening: well insulating, it is perfect for a bay opening onto a beautiful view (garden or terrace)
· Swing opening: it does not allow full opening, but is ideal for small dimensions and for additional ventilation
· Tilt-and-turn opening: this semi-opening takes up little space and serves as ventilation
3. Which material to choose?
Wood : natural and warm, it bends to all your decorative desires. It also provides excellent thermal and acoustic insulation. However, less resistant to humidity, it must be water repellent and maintained.
Aluminum: durable, it takes up little space and does not require any maintenance. It is available through different very aesthetic ranges.
PVC : ultra-insulating and resistant, it does not require any maintenance. In addition to its excellent value for money, it is available in several shades and looks.
Mixed aluminum / wood: trendy, this alloy offers optimal insulation, minimal maintenance and complete customization.
4. Which glazing to favor?
For windows in standard homes, double glazing is sufficient. Where the temperature variations are extreme, choose triple glazing.
5. Which regulations for which aid?
To benefit from public aid, before starting your work, find out about the aid and provisions offered by the government and your municipality: reduced VAT, CITE, home improvement bonus, subsidies, etc.
6. What are the labels and certifications?
The quality of the joinery is certified by various labels: AEV (waterproofing), NF CSTBat mark (quality, resistance and waterproofing), Acotherm (acoustic and thermal performance), Cekal (double glazing quality), Qualicoat (aluminum joinery).
7. What to ask a professional installer?
A professional must be able to provide you with: proof of the craftsman’s civil liability when signing the estimate, as well as insurance and legal guarantees (guarantee of perfect completion, guarantee of proper functioning and ten-year guarantee).
8. What is the budget for a new window?
To carry out your carpentry renovation project, developing an appropriate budget is essential. Above all, you need to know your desires and your constraints. Take the measurements of your opening, choose the type of material (aluminum, PVC or wood) and select the options that interest you (acoustic glazing, color, roller shutter, etc.).