Stamp the intention into the morning. The morning is precious. It is where we are free from distractions. Before touching any type of media, stamp your intention into the day. By stamping I mean owning. Claiming. The energy is fresh. Unformed. It needs input. So the intention should be that input. Essentially, what do you want? Most of us are in a passive or reactive state when we wake up. By claiming what you want with an intention in the morning, you are stating to yourself and the world, this is mine for the taking!
I had the pleasure of interviewing Bryce Kennedy. Bryce is a former corporate attorney who did a 180, left law to study the art of meditation and feng shui and its impact on his life. He then founded a company to bring these transformation modalities to high achievers and over thinkers in order to tap into a hidden power most people never use. Bryce now consults with companies like Boston Consulting Group, Lululemon, Spotify on how to reduce stress and achieve new levels of success.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
I always knew there was more to this life than what I was living. Something deeper and truer. And this gnawing truth started to really get to me when I was a corporate attorney. I was working 90 hour weeks. Extremely unhappy. Living for what little weekend I had left. On top of that I had this money but was spending it on crap. Always buying the next toy to preoccupy my mind. I then started getting sick. I had horrific night terrors for years. I had a bleeding stomach ulcer. It was all going downhill fast. And no matter what I did, I couldn’t fill this void I felt. So I quit. I left it all! I started looking for answers. Answers to questions like, why did I feel like this? Why were my thoughts self-sabotaging? What was this “more” I was looking for? And through this self-exploration, I found the answer was much much deeper than I could have ever imagined. It was that everything we are seeking is inward. All the answers are inside. And for a lawyer, this was the worst case scenario. I had been trained to look outward. Books, teachers, cases, etc. Going inward was an insane prospect. But, I dove in head first and discovered a much different potential existed. Simply a shift in perspective. But a damn big shift.
What does it mean for you to live “on purpose”? Can you explain? How can one achieve that?
To me it means your truest potential. Going all out. Being exactly you. And to do that it means searching and discovering who the heck you are. A lot of people find purpose in a job or a family or mission but on purpose is so much more than that. It is you at your fullest expression. The good, the bad, and the ugly. It means your totality. Anything less is not on purpose. And again, to do that you must go inward. Strip away the programming. Start to understand what makes you tick. Most of us were given these “instruction manuals” to life when we were younger. Passed down by family, friends and society. How to behave. What rules to follow. Who we should be. What to do. What to think. How to act. But that is not on purpose. On purpose is figuring out your own instruction manual. What the hell makes you come alive. What scares you. What feeds you. What triggers you. The dark and the light. But to reiterate, it is the fullest expression of who you are. Most people fall short of living on purpose. It can be frightening. Intimidating. To really be who you are. To get what you want. To be who you want to be. YOW! We all say we want it but to some degree we don’t. Deep rooted fears hold us back. But anything less is not living on purpose. YOU being YOU is on purpose!
Do you have an example or story in your own life of how your pain helped to guide you to finding your life’s purpose?
Money. I had money issues. I was a lawyer that was supposed to be killing it. I wasn’t. I was a contract worker that was disposable. It was grueling hours without much pay. And it was the search of money that guided me to my life’s purpose. I wanted more! However, I soon found out it had nothing to do with money. Instead the answer was incredibly low self-worth. I thought I was stupid. Incapable of being successful. I didn’t believe I could be loved. That realization was crushing. It cracked something deep within. Scared the hell out of me. This whole time I was this funny, entertaining guy. Always the life of the party. But deep down, I was dying inside and I had no idea. And it was manifesting through money. Once I realized that I knew what I was to do. Transform. At any cost. And bring that to people. This needless suffering for surface level issues is simply a distraction of something much deeper. Always is. Love, money, job, success, whatever the flavor of the day is, it’s something inside that’s pulling the strings. And once I understood that, I wanted to scream it from the mountain tops. I needed people to understand. It became my mission. IT is my mission. Heal the suffering.
The United States is currently rated at #18 in the World Happiness Report. Can you share a few reasons why you think the ranking is so low?
I think the main reason is we focus on surface level issues. We try to resolve the wrong things. Anxiety, stress, money, love, whatever, we need to go deeper. People aren’t going deep enough. We are all managing the shallow waters but not going to the depths. A lot of my clients always tell me they don’t want to fall apart. They don’t have the luxury of knowing what’s going on inside them. It’s just one more thing to do. I get it. We are so bombarded by societal inputs every second of the day that life become unmanageable. So why would we want to go deeper? But the irony of the whole thing is that it’s the only way to be happy. To get happy. To define happy. There just ain’t no way around it.
I also think gratitude or lack thereof is a big issue. Now look, I still have a cynical side to me. Gratitude is a tough pill to swallow. That said, true gratitude, not just a nice quote on instagram, is powerful. Taking time to FEEL gratitude can change your life. We don’t take the time to look around and FEEL all that we have. It’s too much. Because a lot of us have an abundance of things. We may not be a perfect world, to say the least, but there is something to be grateful for. Your vision, health, water, air, body, humor, heart, love, warmth, smile, willpower, anything. But it’s in the feeling that holds the secret. And I think people just don’t feel and that’s why we are so low on the report.
How have you used your success to bring goodness to the world?
Education. I try to share and inform and teach anyone who want to know more. It is my mission to let people know that suffering is unnecessary. We don’t have to go through this internal hell by reaching for the external. It may be a conversation, a talk, a meditation, a video, a conference, a blog post, whatever it is I do, it is truy to bring goodness to the world. I’ll tell you the truth, it would have been a hell of a lot easier being a lawyer. This mission is not an easy one. But it’s mine.
What are your 6 strategies to help you face your day with exuberance, “Joie De Vivre” and a “ravenous thirst for life”? Can you please give a story or example for each?
- Before bed, reset the space/environment for tomorrow’s success. Your environment/living space has a enormous effect on us. It impacts your mindset in so many ways. So it is crucial to wake up to a space that supports your goals. Declutter the bedroom. Make sure it reflects the person you want to be and the life you live. Is it uplifting? Does it excite you? Do you feel like a boss? That’s what the environment needs to say. This goes for your desk. If you begin work with a desk that is unorganized and chaotic, that is what your day will be. Reset the space.
- Stamp the intention into the morning. The morning is precious. It is where we are free from distractions. Before touching any type of media, stamp your intention into the day. By stamping I mean owning. Claiming. The energy is fresh. Unformed. It needs input. So the intention should be that input. Essentially, what do you want? Most of us are in a passive or reactive state when we wake up. By claiming what you want with an intention in the morning, you are stating to yourself and the world, this is mine for the taking!
- No social media or emails for the first 20 minutes of the day. Again, the morning is fresh. It’s freedom. No direction. It’s yours to be used how you see fit. If we begin by checking emails or social media, we are essentially letting this external input direct our lives. We are sponges in the morning. We don’t have to see the misery in the world, the work you need to get done, how your friend travels more than you and some political post ranting why this side is worse than the other. No! We create this free zone. To claim what WE want. Not out of fear but of power. Boom.
- Breathe intensely for 30 seconds. This boosts the day with a shot of YES! We breathe shallowly when we sleep. And often we don’t really change that shallow breathing when we wake up and move throughout the day. This is not good. So with a 30 second blast of breath, we restart the system and gear this system into breathing deeply and powerfully. The science behind breath and its effects are incredible. It oxygenates the blood. Fights cold. Removes toxins. Releases serotonin in the brain. Who needs coffee after that.
- Feel the beast within. It is crucial to start feeling our bodies and what’s happening inside. A check-in is like a go no go for launching a space shuttle. Each area is acknowledged, brought online and aligned with the whole of you. If we don’t feel into this we are wasting an opportunity to hear into the total power. So feel from head to toe. The ear, the nose, the throat, the heart, elbow, ribs, hips. What do they feel like? Are you aware of them? Is blood flowing through them? Is there any emotion there? Is it an all systems go for launch?
- Speak success. What are the words you say about yourself? Are they powerful? Doubtful? Self deprecating? Appreciative? Negative? The words you speak have power. They reinforce your subconscious into believing what’s real and not real. The word is your compass. Your truth. It doesn’t mean you need to sugar coat life but it should be real and in charge. Optimistic. Down right authoritative. Speak what you are and want to be.
Do you have any favorite books, podcasts, or resources that most inspired you to live with a thirst for life?
I love the book Relentless by Tim Gover. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero. I love biographies, John Adams by David McCullough, and The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. All badass. All inspiring. All in ruthless pursuit of a more powerful life.
Can you please give us your favorite “Life Lesson Quote” that relates to having a Joie De Vivre? Can you share how that was relevant to you in your life?
“Fuck it, I choose magic.” This is my mantra. I was in a meditation for about 2 weeks when this came to me. I was starting to go deep into contemplation. I could see there were two paths before me. One, continue being a lawyer, or two, leaving law and embarking on a path of spirituality (magic). It scared the crap out of me. As if I were being made to choose right then and there. And so, I chose and said those exact words, “Fuck it, I choose magic.” And ever since then it’s my quote I live by.
Are you working on any exciting new projects now? How do you think that will help people?
I’m bridging Feng Shui and meditation into a cohesive program. It’s called Inner Outer. When the outer environment isn’t harmonized to the inner environment you are literally fighting an uphill battle. This is why this program will be revolutionary, it gives people a 360 rotation of transformation. The environment holds so much power and gives people an edge of success. It is an untapped resource. Blended with coaching, your become unstoppable. The person becomes like an Olympian where all facets of life are being analyzed and oriented to engage in the most powerful way possible.
You are a person of great influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. 🙂
Permission based mentioning. Basically it would be very simple, have a mentor sit down with someone else who is wanting or desiring to be or do something. And they give that person permission. The mentor looks them in the eye and says, “you have permission.” They then sit in eye contact for the next few minutes without saying anything and let themselves open to the idea of being given permission to be who and what they were meant to be. And mean it. To feel it. To receive it. Being given permission to LIVE! To be it. It’s something most of us are seeking. Deep down we truly are. A simple meaningful permission, wow, it would change the world.