By Jane Burnett
Summer is officially here, and new research shows that some states are a lot better than others for road trips. Who came out on top in WalletHub‘s best and worst list … Wyoming.
The company analyzed 50 states in terms of safety, costs, and activities, and further in terms of 31 factors, giving each state a total score out of 100. The company also used information from the U.S. Census Bureau, among many other sources.
The best states for summer 2018 road trips
Here are the states that topped the list (with their overall score):
1) Wyoming (total score: 58.75)
2)North Carolina (total score: 56.24)
3) Minnesota (total score: 56.13)
4) Texas (total score: 55.46)
5) Florida (total score: 54.62)
6) Louisiana (total score: 54.40)
7) Washington (total score: 53.74)
8) New York (total score: 53.72)
9) Utah (total score: 53.44)
10) Colorado (total score: 53.06)
Ones to avoid?
Wondering about the end of the list? These five states finished at the bottom:
46) New Mexico (total score: 45.28)
47) Hawaii (total score: 40.70)
48) Delaware (total score: 40.51)
49) Connecticut (total score: 38.62)
50) Rhode Island (total score: 38.58)
How the states stack up against each other
How to cut down on the spending during your summer road trip
“A cooler!!! One way to save money when traveling on the highways and byways of the US is to have a cooler filled not only with water and your favorite drinks, but also stocking it with fresh fruits and other snacks. As someone who has crisscrossed the US, this not only saves money by shopping in local grocery stores, but also allows for more headful choices,” Petrick told the site. “While many gas-station convenience stores have healthier options, picking up local strawberries or peaches from farm stands or farmer’s markets also allow you to participate in the local food culture.”
But whether you hop in a car or on a plane for your summer vacation this year, taking time off from work can be a great way to recharge with your friends and family.
Originally published at www.theladders.com.