Depression is a mood disorder characterized by sadness and a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities that lasts for many months or even years. It is more common in women than men. Some tips to beat depression that are excerpted from my recently published book “Life Know-How: A Life Guide with Sensible Advice to Live Life to the Fullest” are given below.
1. Consult a doctor to get a proper diagnosis of your condition. The doctor will do a physical examination and ask you to provide answers to some questions. Based on that, the doctor may recommend exercise, psychotherapy, or drug treatment with antidepressants. Go ahead with the recommended treatment and stick with it until you start feeling better.
2. Take help of family members or friends as needed. This could be helping you to go to a doctor or going out to do things you enjoy doing together, etc. Talking face to face with someone you trust will help you deal with depression.
3. In order to get some structure back to your life, establishing a daily schedule and sticking to it will help. Also, setting small achievable goals and accomplishing them will make you feel good.
4. Exercise some time during the day to get the benefits of endorphins released naturally by your body while doing the workout. These endorphins trigger a positive feeling in your body and help you fight depression.
5. Not getting enough sleep can make depression worse. Try to go to sleep and wake up at a set time. Eliminate distractions like computer, TV, etc. in your bedroom and ensure you use the bedroom strictly for sleeping.
6. Have daily responsibilities at home or at work. It can be full-time/part-time, and even on a volunteer basis (i.e. without pay). If it contributes positively towards somebody or something, it will help you counter depression.
7. Try to do something new. It could be anything that you like such as going to a museum, exploring a new place in the city, reading a book, taking a cooking class, etc. This has a positive effect on your brain and helps you fight depression.
8. Learn to deal with negative thoughts. Change the way you think. Use logic and question to check if there really is a basis for your negative thoughts; many times, you end up realizing they are all unfounded and you have been depressed for no good reason.
9. Keep doing the fun things you like doing such as going to movies, going out for dinner, etc. even when you are depressed. It will help you get back to feeling and being normal again.
10. If you love pets, taking care of them can bring joy.