As the number of coronavirus cases increase so does our need to adjust to a new normal. Our regular routines have completely changed and it has caused some disruptions to our regular routines. It is easy to feel discouraged because the things we used to do are no longer doable however I would like to invite you the amazing opportunity this can be. Social-Isolation can be a great opportunity to reset several areas of your life and develop new routines starting with self-care.
Practicing self-care means nurturing, renewing and fortifying your body, mind and spirit first before attempting to nurture, renew, and fortify others. Some people see this as selfish, but It is in fact a very smart idea and makes very good sense. You know why? Because you can only give what you have. One of my favorite motto’s has always been ‘fill up your own cup and give to others from the overflow’. Below are my top 10 self-care activities you can try during social Isolation:
1. Do one thing today just because it makes you happy
2. Do a mini-declutter and choose three things from your wardrobe that you don’t love or regularly wear and give it away
3. Unplug for an hour: Switch everything to airplane mode and free yourself from constant social media notifications
4. Do something different: Get out of your comfort zone, even if it’s just dancing to your favourite track or join Tik Tok and try one their fun challenges
5. Vitamin D: Get fifteen minutes of sun as it helps regulate your mood. Take a stroll to the local park and breathe in some fresh air. Keep your distance from other people , avoid large crowds and go alone or with the people from your household who you are social distancing with.
6. Have a good laugh: Watch a comedy show and laugh it off
7. Take a quick nap: Ten to twenty minutes can reduce tiredness, boost alertness and help you feel more energized
8. Have a full self-pampering day: I’m talking a long hot bath, pedicure, manicure, facial, get your hair done and sit around in your bathrobe
9. Journaling: Take 30 minutes and write out your thoughts and check in with yourself
10. Know yourself: Strip down naked and look at yourself in the mirror without judgement or negativity.
We all need people in our lives, that’s true but we also need to be at our very best in order to enjoy the time we spend with people. It’s no use trying to please everybody and burning the candle at both ends, constantly ripping’ and running! Remember, it’s okay to say ‘No’ to others and prioritise yourself! Make your ‘me time’ a non-negotiable part of your life.
That’s it !Try to implement just one of these things you will see a major difference in your life.