One of the songs that had a huge impact on me as a young girl growing up was “My Favorite Things”… from the movie “The Sound of Music”.
The elevating tune and lyrics of the song would make me and my sisters’ belt the song out in gay abandon as Julie Andrew’s favorite things became ours…
Many years down the line and reflective of late…
has started me thinking “How much of our time do we spend on doing our favorite things?” Do we even know our favorite things anymore? Has life become a vicious circle of work with a little play, some family and even lesser self in between?
Thus this article… where I have explored all my favorite things to prompt all of you hopefully to remember yours and make time for them… if indeed they are your favorite things…
My favorite things
- My kids’ warm hugs (nothing beats that any day)
- Recalling memories of my DAD (the person who made me what I am)
- Putting my head out of the window on a moving bus in India (yeah! bit crazy that one)
- Spending time with “special needs” kids (makes me cry but makes me feel so good when they smile)
- Melted butter on hot toast (once a foodie, always a foodie!) Kerala beef and porotta a very close second
- Wearing warm, comfy cashmere sweaters (comfort over fashion any day!)
- Belting out old Hindi and eenglish songs (making up parts I don’t remember…)
- Curled up with my favorite book (do not disturb please!)
- Laughing away with close friends (those who don’t judge you in any shape or form)
- That feeling of elation when I complete a great project/presentation (on that high)
- Smelling petrol at a petrol station (have to throw in the weird part of me!)
- Sinking my feet into the wet sand on the beach (watching the waves come in)
- Everything about Christmas! (From the church bells, decorations, Christmas tree, carols, Just staying up all night on Christmas Eve!)
- Sitting for an hour inside or outside churches, temples, mosques where permitted (just feeling at peace) and last but definitely not the least
- Just treasuring I have a soulmate… (who makes me feel something)
And I thought, when did I make time for these things? was it yesterday, a week ago or have I even forgotten what it feels like…
And realized, I need to make that extra effort to make time for my favorite things,
To re- experience those moments because they are the ones that take precedence over all.
Reflect now, are you doing/ experiencing your favorite things?
Till next time…