Breg Knee braces have different roles. You may wear them to prevent injuries or to support injured knees. Typically, these devices are built to offer comfort, protection, and relieve pain. However, to get the best outcome from knee braces, buy the right size and design. Still, the best brace should be lightweight.
Of equal importance is knowing how to wear your braces. Wrongly putting them on, will make them less effective. Structurally, they have straps for fastening while others have hinged and screws.
There are different models of knee braces. The method of wearing them can slightly differ, but the general-purpose remains the same. Let’s look at the best way to put on these braces.
Choosing the right size and style
You can decide to buy the breg knee brace without advice from the doctor. However, the right style depends on the type and location of injury. In case you have a simple sprain, a simple compression sleeve can solve the problem. However, if you have a severe injury, you may require a well-built brace, probably hinged.
In severe conditions, the doctor or therapist advises you on the right type of brace to buy. But that is not a guarantee that it will work well. So some trial and error may be necessary.
Wearing the braces
Find a comfortable place to sit. If you are wearing a trouser, roll it up so that it doesn’t get in the away. There are two types of braces, i.e., the sleeve type and the wrap style type.
- If you are using the sleeve type of brace, slip your leg into the knee brace through the wider side. Slide the brace upwards until it squarely fits at the injured knee.
- On the other hand, if you bought a wraps style knee brace, you have to straighten your leg first before placing the inside of the pad against your knee. Lastly, wind the straps around the injured knee.
Still, other types come with hinges. Each side hinge comes with a twist screw to allow for loosening. To wear them:
- Straighten your leg and apply the sidebars and leg cuffs.
- Ensure that the hinges align with the center of the knee
- The thigh bar should be in line with the bottom of the side hip while the leg bar should align with ankle bones.
- Push the levers upwards till you hear clicking sounds. The click indicates that the brace s locked.
- Finally, tighten the straps if it comes with some.
Ensure that the brace fits perfectly. Most types of braces usually have a small hole. The role of this hole is to indicate the front side of the brace. Typically, after wearing it, your patella should be visible through this hole, for more comfort and stability.
In some cases, the braces may sleep off. So you must secure it tightly. Ensure that the brace’s hole align with the kneecap, and it should not pinch or catch your skin.
Compression sleeves do not have straps. Once you properly place them over the knee, you are good to go. However, if you are using a breg knee brace that has sleeves, you’ll have to guide the sleeves to the back and ensure that they are securely fit. Ensure that the knee brace is not too tight but snug.
Knee braces are the path to improved wellness. They give support to the knee that is injured, reducing further impact. Besides, they stabilize and control motion at the knee joint to prevent the occurrence of any other injury. Still, different types can restrict movement to a greater extent to promote healing. If you want perfect results, wear them properly.