Today we dive into habits and they have the potential to decrease our discipline and weaken our mind.
Yesterday I was doing sprints in a random Moe’s shopping center in upstate New York. This morning, I did a workout dancing at a Montreal nightclub from 830-10am, worked on my dancing skills, and did a couple of miles learning the two step with locals. When you are determined and disciplined there is always a way to maintain your habits that set you free to proactively control your mornings and evenings. I will find a way everyday to do my gratitude journal and get 30 minutes of exercise because that’s what allows me to feel and think at my highest level.
Building habits is going to be different for everyone. But maintaining habits is one of the biggest things holding us back from freedom, fulfillment, and gratification. Everyone has the power to create a system that works for themselves. The reality is we continue to put maintaining habits at the bottom of our priority list. That going to gym goal in January starts to turn into “I don’t feel like it” in February on a rainy Monday and then school, work, Netflix, dinners with friends, sleeping in late, and hangovers suddenly come out of nowhere unexpectedly and you don’t keep up with your goals. There are two problems with this from achieving your full potential.
- You find fulfillment through putting time and effort into something, embracing pain, improving how you feel, mastering an activity, and learning and growing. It might feel good in the moment, but in the long-run you are reverting to comfort which is toxic.
- You are creating a mindset that makes your mind weak to challenges, creating a high tolerance for worst case scenario, and decreasing your self-control and discipline which slowly starts drifting over to other parts of your life in a negative way.
What is The Biggest Mistake With Habits?
When we don’t maintain our habits, we complain, spread negativity, feel like shit, and worst of all we gain self-doubt and blame ourselves. If you don’t maintain a habit, INTENTIONALLY ENJOY THIS MOMENTS TO THE FULLEST, BUT DON’T COMPLAIN OR SPREAD YOUR NEGATIVITY TO OTHERS. Life is hard enough. Don’t self-suffocate your mind because you didn’t do something. You either go all-in enjoying the moment not worrying about anything and not harming anyone, or go all-in growing and improving! Finding the balance with the intentional mindset is the play.
How Do You Take Action to Avoid This
Move forward and start with a baby step in the right direction with a positive mindset!
- Constantly put time in to document, understand, and check-in with yourself. What are your bad habits? What Areas of Life do you want to improve ?
- Once you acknowledge this, than you can start working on identifying good habits with bad habits, start identifying strategies to improve areas you are lacking, finding activities and people that make you happier.
- Experiment with these strategies and enjoy how different and uncomfortable they may feel.
- Commit to achievable habits that are going to challenge you but improve how you feel every day-> MAKE THESE HABITS PRIORITIES
- Take the time to make the proper preparation that doesn’t allow you to make an excuse. Put gym clothes on before you go to bed, bring warm hats/gloves on a roadtrip so you can do sprints/running for the day, meal prep your food so you can maintain your healthy, delicious diet etc.
- When you maintain and stick to your habits, not only are you creating a journey of achievement that will provide fulfillment, but you are also creating an internal system that allows you to be free and present in the moments when you achieve your habits for the day and maximize your moments at peace.
Bring the right people into your circle, consistently perform good habits, enjoy the roller coaster ride, add value to people, and most importantly enjoy the journey and being yourself!
Learn how to find balance in your life through habits with Richie D!!
If you like my content, feel free to share to educate and inspire others to reach their full potential or follow my journey by:
Subscribing to My Weekly Newsletter of Positive Inspiration
Pre-Ordering My New Book
I am so excited for what March has in store for all of us! Wishing you an amazing month free, fulfilled, and happy!
Originally published at brandonlabella.com