A quick spin in the food processor creates a fresh and flavorful four-herb pesto, which brings to life this protein-packed appetizer.
Serving size: 1 rollup (100 grams)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) lemon juice
- 6 chicken cutlets (about 130 grams each)
- Preheat grill to 400°F (204°C). Combine parsley, basil, oregano, sage, garlic, Parmesan, pine nuts and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until it becomes a paste, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Cover a cutting board with plastic wrap, place one or two chicken cutlets on the plastic and then cover cutlets with a second piece of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, pound chicken from center outward. Flip chicken and both layers of plastic and pound the underside, achieving long pieces of meat. Once cutlets reach ¼-inch thickness, repeat the process with remaining cutlets.
- Remove chicken from plastic wrap and spread 1 to 2 tablespoons pesto over each piece in an even, thin layer. Begin rolling chicken from the widest end as tightly as possible. Fully coat all rollups with cooking spray and place on preheated grill. Use tongs to turn chicken rolls over every 3 to 5 minutes until they are cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) and desired crispiness is achieved. If rolls begin to unravel, poke them all the way through with a toothpick or skewer. Remove from grill and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition per serving:
CALORIES 222; TOTAL FAT 10g; SAT. FAT 3g; CHOL. 80mg; SODIUM 230mg; CARB. 3g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 0g; PROTEIN 30g; POTASSIUM 297mg; PHOSPHORUS 289mg
Originally published at foodandnutrition.org