A clean desk policy has been adopted by many organizations so as to comply with regulations like ISO/IEC 27001. According to the International Organization for Standardization, this regulation is in the family of standards that help organizations keep information assets secure. It is a standard providing requirements for an organization’s Information Security Management System (ISMS).
A clean desk policy entails clearing your desk at the end of the day before leaving for home. It is a way of protecting sensitive information contained in printouts, maintaining a presentable workspace, preventing information theft among others.
A desk should always be clean, not only at the close of business and certainly not because a regulation said so. Set a personal standard to always have your desk clean and free of clutter. This is to your personal benefit. It will greatly improve your productivity.
Ensure that you have a system of organizing stuff on your desk. Have an in and out tray, files and cabinets to help you organize paper. Anything that does not serve a purpose on your desk should be removed. This gives room for your most important working tools like your laptop, cell phone, daily planner, and of course your cup of coffee.
It is important to keep your desk clean for the sake of your productivity. This article explores the benefits of having a clean desk every day.
What are the personal benefits of a clean desk?
1. It improves your creativity. It is hard to be creative when you have lots of paper and many other things strewn all over your desk. Your mind is subconsciously bothered by the disorganization and has no room to be creative. It is preoccupied with thoughts of when you will get round to clearing your desk. Until then, you struggle with creativity.
2. Healthier self-esteem. When your desk is dirty and untidy it reflects a lack of organization. When you are disorganized, you feel like you are not in control of yourself. This breeds feelings of inadequacy and this in turn lowers your self-esteem. It’s amazing how a clean desk makes you feel better about yourself. It lifts your spirits and makes you feel in control.
3. Clarity of mind. Waking up to a “fresh desk” is inspiring. Decision-making becomes easier and faster when your mind is clear and unencumbered by worry induced by clutter. Your desk becomes a space that you enjoy walking into every day.
4. Productivity soars. Why? Because you are motivated to get more work done. There are no paper distractions and other forms of clutter to think about. You are free to get more work done and good quality of work at that.
5. Quality of work improves. This is because of your ability to think clearly. Your creativity and imagination are increased. Better quality work leads to better pay and recognition. Your work has a certain ease and flow that it did not have before.
The importance of a clean desk cannot be underestimated. It has a great impact on the quality of your work which in turn has an impact on your paycheck. Observe a clean desk policy for better results. Your bank account will thank you for it!