Purpose. The reason we were created. The reason we exist.
Several months ago, I sat alone in tears presented with a challenge. A leader, who I once admired, sat me down and told me that I do not have purpose. I allowed for those words to replay in my mind, and I caught myself beginning to wonder what could drive a person to cut another human being so deeply.
In the next brief moments, I made the conscious decision not to dwell in the negative, but to celebrate all of my successes. I was created for more.
I stopped worrying about what others thought, and I began to take inventory in the areas of my life that I truly enjoyed. I leveraged my life experiences and became resourceful so that I had the ability to consciously seek out opportunities where I could connect my morals, values, and goals with a Place, Purpose, and Passion. I allowed myself to become vulnerable to the pain that comes with growth and change. I made the declaration that this time, I need to ask more questions, and I need to be thoughtful with my “yes.” I needed to make changes to improve my self-care, but what changes did I need to make?
I started by acknowledging that I was in a place beneath my potential.
I admitted to myself that I did not have the right mentors guiding me. I had felt for quite a while that I was not part of a team. Next, I accepted that those whom I had been surrounded by were in fear of my potential. They were willing use their power to suppress me.
In the next moments, I made the conscious decision to rise. I said “yes” to accessing my potential, and I said “yes” I do have purpose. I set out on my incredible journey of Rising. Doors began to open, and I made meaningful connections with amazing human beings. I became present, and I took time to really enjoy every moment and experience of life.
These are a few of the changes that I made to my self-care that fuel me as I continue to rise and perform at my absolute best:
- I re-evaluated my Square Squad. I got clear on whose opinions mattered. I decided who is worthy of hearing my story.
- I wake up and I practice gratitude.
- I spend 15-20 minutes thinking and breathing.
- I stop negative thoughts in their tracks, Not Today Satan!
- I strive to be present in moments and with those around me.
- I dwell in my successes.
- I connect with mentors who Lean In and support me.
- I listen and connect with my peers.
- I am vulnerable with my Square Squad. These are the people who are in the arena with me, they are either ready to rumble or ready to celebrate.
- I take time to let others know how much I appreciate them.
- I take time out often.
- I disconnect from technology.
- I go to bed grateful.
I exist for a purpose and my future is bright. I have found a place where I fit, and I am able to live out my passion. The changes I have made to my self-care have been instrumental in helping me establish the non-negotiable needs I have in my life. I reconnected with myself, tried new things, embraced leadership, and I continue to develop myself every day.
You exist for a purpose. You were created for more. I challenge you to take a few moments to reflect on where you have been, and where you want to go. This is your moment to rise!