Contrary to popular belief, hypnosis is not a magical trance that allows the performer to cast a spell on random individuals. According to the American Psychological Association, hypnosis is defined as “a cooperative interaction in which the participant responds to the suggestions of the hypnotist.”
Hypnosis gained momentum after being viewed as a magic trick that entrances the subject into performing awkward or abnormal tasks. In a variety of movies such as ‘now you see me’, hypnosis is demonstrated in a far-fetched manner. For instance, many staged performances of the hypnosis show the hypnotized individuals believing that they are chickens, dancers or ballerinas. Unlike the movie depictions of putting one under a trance, the official purpose of hypnosis is its contribution to hypnotherapy. This process allows the individual to increase their concentration levels and open their minds, which guides them towards recovery.
However, many individuals still view hypnotism in a negative light due to the illusory myths such as:
- The hypnotists can control minds: What most people do not know about hypnotism, is its ability to only be performed when the subject has given their consent. Thus, the individual can only be hypnotized if they desire to be. Even after the consent is given, a hypnotist does not have the power to control the person’s mind. The role of a hypnotherapist is simply to ask questions, while the subject answers them. In case the question is unclear or confusing, the subconscious mind immediately rejects it and moves forward with the interview.
- Hypnosis can only be performed on mentally weak individuals: In contrast to the preceding statement, hypnosis can be performed on any individual who holds the Intelligence quotient of above 70. Thus, all individuals with a fully functioning mindset can seek hypnotherapy.
- Hypnotized individuals are asleep: During hypnotherapy, individuals are wide awake. While they have their eyes closed, the subjects of hypnotherapy are fully aware of their surroundings along with the context of what they are saying. Hypnotherapists encourage their clients to close their eyes as it allows their other sense to reach a heightened state.
- Hypnosis leads to the performance of degrading activities: This point of view of hypnosis is the result of its negative display on Television and stage shows. The entertainment industry demonstrates hypnotism in a fictional setting by staging performances which constitute of actors who are part of the show. In contrast, hypnotherapy is merely an interview session that involves direct communication between the hypnotherapist and the client.
- Hypnosis can often be irreversible: As a result of the fictional display of hypnotherapy in a negative light, individuals consider hypnosis as a dangerous thing. Most movies show the after effects of hypnotism where the subjects are unable to step out of a trance. However, in reality, hypnosis is extremely safe to practice.
With that in mind, if you are looking to seek hypnotherapy, do not let the myths above scare you. Prioritize your mental health and place your trust in the professionals! Although, if you’re looking to write your dissertation on hypnosis, you can seek dissertation writing service and consult the professionals for their opinion.