Make time to be together. Running a business and having a small child can make you feel like you never have enough time to get it all done. The important time spent being together and enjoying each other’s company can slip away. As a family, we make time a few nights a week to play board games together. It is amazing to see my son having fun with my favorite childhood games like Candyland and Chutes & Ladders. It is also a great way to teach our son how to lose gracefully.
As a part of my series about the women in wellness, I had the pleasure of interviewing Luna Feehan. Luna is a mother of one, a Certified Lactation Consultant and founder of Legendairy Milk, a lactation supplement company focused on providing unique fenugreek-free and sugar-free herbal options for nursing and pumping mothers. After working for many years in the pharmaceutical world, the birth of her son prompted a passion for helping women on their breastfeeding journeys. Her own struggles with breastfeeding were the impetus for creating Legendairy Milk and what started as a small Etsy-based shop has now grown into a thriving company with customers from all over the world.
Thank you so much for doing this with us Luna! What is your “backstory”?
The first nine weeks postpartum were challenging with days focused on nursing, pumping, hand expressing, feeding baby, washing bottles and then starting the cycle all over again. I was constantly wondering if I was producing enough milk and eventually found out that I had a medical condition that had existed since puberty and might have been contributing to my low milk supply. It was a turning point!
Knowing what the challenge was made me feel that I had to figure out a solution. With the help of a certified lactation consultant I took fenugreek, a commonly used herb to boost supply. My son and I couldn’t tolerate it, and it actually decreased my milk production. About 99% of the lactation products on the market at that time contained fenugreek and I thought, there have to be better options out there! After more research I discovered that there are many other herbs and foods that have been traditionally used for milk production in different cultures for centuries.
Creating Legendairy Milk was the natural next step to provide other struggling new moms with fenugreek-free alternatives.
Can you share your top three “lifestyle tweaks” that you believe will help support people’s journey towards better wellbeing?
- Find the humor. My husband and business partner is the funniest person I’ve ever met. He balances my serious side. Our son has inherited his dad’s sense of humor. Thinking about the humor in a situation is often a good way to balance stress and gives you a more optimistic outlook.
- Make time to be together. Running a business and having a small child can make you feel like you never have enough time to get it all done. The important time spent being together and enjoying each other’s company can slip away. As a family, we make time a few nights a week to play board games together. It is amazing to see my son having fun with my favorite childhood games like Candyland and Chutes & Ladders. It is also a great way to teach our son how to lose gracefully.
- Alone time is okay. Going to the gym is my time to focus on myself. Even though I don’t get to do it as often as I would like to, it makes me feel good, gives me more energy, and positively affects my day.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you started your career?
When we started the company, Instagram seemed like a natural place to understand the needs of nursing mothers and educate new moms that a fenugreek-free alternative existed. What we didn’t expect was that it would turn into a dynamic, energetic, and passionate community. We openly discuss everything nursing mothers go through — exposing the newness of it all with a humorous twist. Nothing is too embarrassing or challenging. I often say that I hope new moms will not need our product, but that Legendairy Milk offers the support moms need. Every inquiry is responded to personally and quickly, and moms who are struggling with breastfeeding truly feel they have found a source of support and comfort in addition to useful information.
Can you share a story about the biggest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?
Don’t be a micromanager. There is more than one way to get the job done and if you trust the person that you gave a responsibility to, then let them do it. At the beginning, I wanted everything to be just right. It wasted time and more than one person’s effort. Now I am specific about what I expect, and I am careful about the third parties that we work with for all aspects of our business.
When it comes to health and wellness, how is the work you are doing helping to make a bigger impact in the world?
The company was founded because I understood that that inadequate milk supply was the #1 reason women stop breastfeeding. I became a Certified Breastfeeding Specialist and founded Legendairy Milk because I felt that I could make a change. My mission is to provide support through organic herbal lactation supplements, holistic resources, and though an online community that supports each other. Moms who are struggling with breastfeeding truly feel they have found a source of support and comfort in addition to useful information. It is extremely rewarding when these women are able to achieve a goal that they feel passionate about and benefits their baby. Breastmilk fits perfectly to baby’s needs, contains all their needed nutrients, provides nutritional factors for optimal growth and development plus amazing antibodies and immunity factors.
None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story about that?
My husband is also my business partner. We each have different responsibilities in the company, so at the same time we support each other we don’t get in each other’s way. He is smart, optimistic, and my biggest cheerleader. When I was nursing our son, he was extremely supportive, and it was with his emotional backing that we launched Legendairy Milk.
My mother, aunts, grandmother, and friends also helped with the success of Legendairy Milk.
After chatting with my family about my breastfeeding struggles, they mentioned black cumin seed. It had been used by my aunts and grandmother when they breastfed, and it has a long history of use in traditional Persian medicine. I ordered black cumin seed as well as fennel and dill (for digestive support) from an organic herb supplier, then ground up the seeds and spread the powder in veggie capsules. I was floored by how well it worked for me.
If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of wellness to the most amount of people, what would that be?
The early stages of a child’s life are extremely important. Mothers can feel overwhelmed, especially at the beginning, and the baby can feel that, too. I would love to grow our community even further, because support is available at any time and it’s comforting to know that other people are in your exact same position at the exact same time. We’re in it together.
What are your “5 Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before I Started” and why?
- Connect to your audience. This happened naturally for Legendairy Milk and has served us in many ways. We wouldn’t be who we are today without our loyal Legendiary Milk fans who help to spread the word and support other moms.
- It’s ok to ask for help. As women, we feel that we need to do everything. Take care of our children, run a business, be a wonderful wife, a doting daughter, a good friend, and keep a beautiful home. Without help, it is stressful. If someone offers to help just say yes. It doesn’t make you less effective — it’s the opposite because you can focus on what’s important.
- Make sure you have reliable partners. Even a small business needs to have vendors. Make sure that they understand your goals, budget and workstyle
- Think about the future. We are always looking to develop new products that will benefit moms. I always think to myself, what do I wish I had when I first gave birth?
- It’s more work than you think it will be. Expect the unexpected! Storms slow down shipping, retailers have specific requests, rules change, etc. It’s all a part of the process. Build in time for launches and stay focused.
Sustainability, veganism, mental health and environmental changes are big topics at the moment. Which one of these causes is dearest to you, and why?
This is a difficult question to answer since they are all so important. Right now, our business is focused on sustainability. Our products are all organic, fenugreek free, and sugar free. We offer the healthiest and most responsible supplements for nursing moms.
What is the best way our readers can follow you on social media?
Thank you for these fantastic insights!