How many of you feel that you do not have sufficient time, sufficient money and sufficient opportunities to do those things which you always wanted to do in your life.
How many of you feel that you are stuck in your regular day-to-day routine work and are not able to live your dream life.
Today, I am going to share the story of one of my friend named “Harish” and how he has changed and transformed his life to be more happy and successful by doing all those things that he always wanted to do and how he is living his life of dreams.
Harish is a 5 foot 9 inches tall, fair and handsome guy, who has recently graduated from IIT Delhi and presently working for a fortune 500 company in Bangalore. In a nutshell, he is smart, highly qualified and he has a charming personality however, there is something which is making him feel very unhappy and very unsatisfied with his life.
Like you and me, Harish is also stuck in this vicious cycle called “Life”…
Everyday, Harish wakes up in the morning, gets ready to go to his office. In office, he works like a bonded labour for 9 hours, then he travels back home fighting all the traffic on the road. At night, he eats his dinner, watches TV for sometime and then finally goes to bed for sleeping. And this cycle continues forever and ever.
Harish starts his day by giving a thank you note to God. Every morning when he wakes up he say’s to God “Thank you god for giving me one extra day to live, and today I will live as if today is the first day of my life”. And then his routine life continues and he is not able to make any significant difference to his life.
So one fine day, Harish realised that each and every day is just passing like any other day and so he decided to find the root cause for the same that why he is not able to live a life of his dreams. He decided that once he finds out the root cause, he will definitely do something about it. So here is what he does.
So following day when Harish wakes up in the morning, he decides to do a slight change in his morning prayer. Rather than saying “Thank you god for giving me one extra day to live, and today I will live as if today is the FIRST day of my life”. He changes the morning prayer to “Thank you god for giving me one extra day to live, I will live today as if today is the LAST day of my life”.
So he has changed the prayer from believing that “today is the first day” to ” today is last day” in his life. So what happens when we say that today is first day or today is last day is that:
- When we say that today is the first day of my life, we indirectly send a signal to our brain that as today is my first day, I have enough time to get the things done. There is no sense of Urgency created and we tend to procrastinate more.
- When we say that today is the last day of my life, we again indirectly send a signal to our brain that as today is my last day, I don’t have enough time and hence there is a sense of urgency created towards our goal. We also tend to get less distracted as we are more focused under such circumstances.
Now let’s go back to the story of Harish. The happiness of Harish was in small things like, spending time with friends and family; contributing money towards social cause and charity and finally, proposing the love of his life with whom he wanted to live forever.
Now let me ask you this question:
- If I say that today is the last day of your life…Would you not take out some time from your busy schedule and spend it with your friends and family.
- If I say that today is the last day of your life…Would you not contribute that amount of money, which you have always wanted to contribute towards a social cause.
- If I say that today is the last day of your life…Would you not gather the courage and confidence and go out and propose the love of your life to live happily forever.
Yes, you are right. This is exactly what Harish did. And this is what exactly people like you and me needs to do.
Our happiness and our success lies in small hidden things and to do those small things, we need to continuously tell ourselves that ” today is the last day of my life”.
So when you wake up tomorrow, here is what I want you to do. Start your day with a thank you note to God…
“Thank you God for giving me one extra day to live, I will live today as if today is the LAST day of my Life…”.