I have been reviled by my relatives for the last 20 odd years because I don’t fit in with their ideas of a picture perfect life-husband,children,house and money in the bank and since it’s India-attending every social gathering be it a cousin’s wedding or a baby shower, dressed to the nines gushing about my fabulous life. So it came as quite a revelation when at a recent family gathering my name was being bandied about as ‘living life Queen Size’ and they wanted to know how?
So I decided to put together a few of my secrets to living life EmpressSize-
1. Say nay to the naysayers-The minute you decide to live life on your terms you’ll have a houseful of people telling you that your’re on the wrong path and will end up as a failure. But if I wanted to follow the tried and tested path I’d still be an ant doing the grunt work, just getting frustrated with all the lost opportunities at excelling.
2. Self Belief-You have to have self-belief. This is the fuel that will keep the dream engine speeding. I believed in myself that I would be an author and when my book ‘Ex-Files’ was published by Penguin my belief was validated. Similarly, I believed that I would be a columnist and here I am, writing for Thrive. So your self-belief has to be rock solid.
3. Work smart-You have to ‘work smart’ to fulfill your dreams. I believe that if you work hard rather than smart then you may not be aligned to fulfill your dreams. After all, the truth is that your daily wage laborer is hard working but it’s the hedge fund manager whose printing the big bucks.You must chalk out a plan to get to your desired destination and along the way keep customizing it to achieve your goal. Not adapting to the circumstances just leads to futile hard work instead of productive smart work
4. Failure?-There’s no failure but changed opportunities is what our mindset should be. I had to leave my MBA from UK because of myriad reasons which I’ll talk about another day, but the fact remains that had I viewed it as a failure I would have been crushed and never dared to dream again. But the fact is that I went on to write books, became a lawyer and recently consulted for a movie streaming on Netflix. So the possibilities are endless as long as we have a positive mindset.
5. Celebrate-When we are on the fast track of achievement we forget to pat ourselves on the back. We don’t stop to congratulate ourselves on our achievements and instead start thinking about the next big mountain to conquer. I remember, when I was at the launch party of my first book, I was already thinking about my next book.Instead of enjoying the moment and celebrating my success I already had a checklist ready for the next set of goals. I continued doing this till I realized that instead of being happy with my achievements I was experiencing anxiety. I took a long hard look at myself and said enough, “Bring on the Triple Sundae” and since that moment on, I celebrate each and every achievement, big or small.
As for my cousins, I wanted to correct them and say, actually I’ve lived life EmpressSize and perhaps you should do so too.
Till next time, love, laughter and live life EmpressSize.