Prayer conjures up a variety of images for us, depending upon how we were raised. My view of prayer as evolved over the years as its effectiveness in my life has increased.
Prayer doesn’t need to be elaborate; it doesn’t need to include repetitive phrases, and it doesn’t have to be done on our knees.
In fact, prayer doesn’t even have to be verbalized! (the Bible confirms that the Holy Spirit will offer up prayer on our behalf when words fail us.)
Perhaps the most simple yet most life-changing prayer that I ever prayed was when I told God one day in the shower: “I want to walk with you, to know you, but I don’t know how. Show me the way.” I said it and forgot it. Within days, however, events transpired in my life that I never could have predicted, and I indeed was introduced to God and Jesus. And my life hasn’t been the same since. What an exciting ride it has been!!! ( To read more about my story, click here.)
Recently, I was walking along the beach, fretting over something or another that I perceived as major in my life, kind of praying as I thought about the issue. A Bible verse popped into my head: “PEACE. BE STILL.”
This was a phrase that Jesus said to his disciples when they were on a boat in the middle of a raging storm, worrying that they were going to capsize.
Peace. Be still. That’a good advice in many of life’s storms.
How do we do that?
1. We can go for a walk on the beach or out in nature. Breathe in the fresh air and clear our minds. Focus on just being.
2. Yoga or other quiet exercise allows us to wind down, quiet our souls, breathe, and enjoy being alive.
3. Mediate, Turn inward. Focus on your breathing and feel the oxygen flow through your body. Let negative thoughts flow through you and move away. Acknowledge them, and let them pass.
4. Gratitude. What are you thankful for? As you sit quietly or do any of the above activities, focus on gratitude. Be thankful for your accomplishments (even small ones) and the people in your life.
5. Talk to God directly. God promises that when we seek Him with all our hearts, that He WILL be found by us. Ask God and wait for Him to answer. He always does.
And……be still. Be at peace. You have an important part in this universe; you were created in the image of God and you have value!