John Wooden the legendary coach created his “Pyramid of Success,” which defines 15 “blocks” of personality traits strategically arranged to generate “competitive greatness.” I love his definition of success which can be applicable to all of us. “Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.” That’s all what success is. It is a very individual thing and everyone must define what success means to them. Here are the 15 blocks of personality traits with my take on each.
1. Industriousness – This is absolutely required to win in any field. Hard work is truly the key to a great life and career. So, there are no easy formulas for success in any area of our lives. Hard work mixed with discipline can ignite your potential to the highest level.
2. Enthusiasm – When you are enthusiastic you do better in all areas of your life. Be enthusiastic about your life and you will enjoy it more. Your enthusiasm is also contagious to the people around you.
3. Friendship – This is all about building a community around you. A sense of belonging is needed for all humans to feel fulfilled. Treat people with respect and constantly look for the good in others.
4. Loyalty – Trust is the key to loyalty. When your team trusts you, they are more loyal to you and your organization.
5. Cooperation – The whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts. Cooperation is the key to winning big in life. You should develop the ability to get along with everyone in your vicinity.
6. Self-control – This is all about discipline and will power. Of course, will power does get depleted as the day progresses so do the most important things first thing in the day. Also automate your decision making like what breakfast you are going to have every day or what clothes you are going to wear.
7. Alertness – Be alert to new opportunities and seize them. Being open minded does help.
8. Initiative – This is all about being proactive. Always take daily action towards your goals.
9. Intentness – Stay in the game long enough and never consider the possibility of failure. Remember if you lost it is just because you ran out of time. We will encounter failure but reinterpreting it in a way that helps is the key to keep your attitude up most of the time.
10. Condition – Keep yourself in top physical condition by exercising regularly. Keep yourself mentally agile by reading, writing in a journal and powerful conversations with people you like. You can also focus on the emotional and spiritual side.
11. Skill – Keep developing your skills that make a difference to your career. It is what you learn after you know everything is the key to your greatness.
12. Team spirit – Leaders infuse team spirit by being the model for others to follow. Create psychological safety for your team.
13. Poise – This is all about being graceful especially when the chips are down. Treat defeat with grace and then you will enjoy your victories more.
14. Confidence – If we do all the above things we will be more confident. Confidence is not automatic it only happens when you are well prepared. Here are my 15 keys to develop self confidence. 15 Keys to Self-Confidence
15. Competitive greatness – This is the top of the pyramid. Keep giving your best and inspire your team to greatness.
These are all great traits for anyone who wants to win in life. Thanks for reading this post.
The views expressed here are my own and do not represent my organization.