His book Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon’s Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart, tells the incredible story of a neurosurgeon’s pursuit to disentangle the secret of the bond between our brains and our hearts. His own life exemplifies how each of us can make a difference and how we can make the world a more kindhearted place. Indeed, when I interviewed James one of his responses to one of my questions really touched me. It was concerning the injustice and inequality between the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’. I told James, “I too want to do something to relieve some of the inequality and injustice in our world but how much I can I do, can I really make a difference?” This is was his reply…“While each of us aspires to change the world sometimes the greatest thing we can do is improve the life of one person and that can be enough.” James Doty.
1. What are you reading at the moment? Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst, Robert Sapolsky
2. What’s keeping you awake at night? The ever-increasing inequality between the haves and have nots.
3. What’s the one thing you can’t live without? Love.
4. What is the hardest thing you overcame? Negative self-talk.
5. How did you get out of your own way ? I am still working on it…