If you’re feeling frazzled with the hustle of creating a successful business that just leaves you feeling frustrated, exhausted and not moving forward, then read on for some alternative insight…
What are chakras?
Chakra is the Sanskrit word for “wheel”. Sanskrit is one of the oldest forms of human language, so even though chakras may be a relatively new concept in the west, awareness of the chakras is ancient and steeped in history.
There are 7 main chakras in the body and, as the Sanskrit word attests to, they are circular spinning vortexes of energy.
The chakras sit within your energy field following along the length of your spine.
Each chakra is attributed to a certain colour and its own energy vibration.
What is the root chakra and what does it do?
The root chakra is located at the base of your spine, and just as its name implies, this is our energetic root connection to the earth. Using the analogy of a tree…
a tree’s roots provide STABILITY. The first requirement of SURVIVAL for a tree is to be securely rooted to the earth. A tree also gains its NOURISHMENT from the earth through its roots. And once the tree has its stability and nourishment, it has the opportunity to gain health, strength and a strong life force.
We’re exactly the same. However, because we’re human and need to move around, we don’t have physical roots anchoring us to the earth but we do have energetic ones that come from our root chakra.
So our root chakra is where we connect with our sense of security and stability. It taps into our survival instincts. It’s where we receive our nourishment from the earth. It also provides our sense of belonging (think once again of a tree’s roots, claiming its place on the earth).
So why is the root chakra important for entrepreneurs?
As an entrepreneur you’re responsible for your own income. And most entrepreneurs worry about creating, and sustaining, their own financial stability. As a result, feelings of panic, fear, worry and anxiety are very common. Unfortunately, once these feelings get a hold of you they can grow out of control and drive your actions (or non-actions!) in your business – both consciously and subconsciously.
You’ll also experience different effects depending on whether your root chakra is over-active or under-active. Note that these can manifest on a conscious or sub-conscious level, so it would help to spend some time contemplating them.
An Over-Active Root Chakra
Here, your roots are too firmly planted in the ground. Imagine a tree’s roots being stuck so far down into the earth that it’s being sucked into the ground.
Effects of an over-active root chakra may include:
- You’re finding it difficult to move forward (usually a subconscious fear of leaving your comfort zone).
- You’re a perfectionist or being overly cautious so you don’t manage to complete projects and get them out into the world.
- You can be too controlling and reluctant to delegate or ask for help. This leads to feelings of stress and overwhelm which can severely deplete your energy and health. So your business becomes a struggle instead of a joy.
- You may discount ideas and possibilities as not practical and come up with excuses like: “I can’t do that because…”
- Frequent bouts of anger and frustration. You’ll probably direct most of these feelings towards yourself – severely affecting your self-esteem. You’ll start to doubt your abilities and other people can pick up on this, which can have a negative impact on your business.
Under-Active Root Chakra
Think of a tree unable to put its roots down into the earth for security and survival.
Effects of an under-active root chakra may include:
- Low energy levels – cyanide to an entrepreneur!
- Feeling flighty and up in the air. You may be having lots of ideas but finding it difficult to bring them into reality.
- Feeling a sense of “not belonging” (which can lead to self doubt). Entrepreneurship can be a lonely business and especially difficult when you see other people succeeding when you’re still struggling to put down your roots.
- Feeling unsupported – this can be challenging if you don’t feel supported by those close to you, rapidly breaking down your resolve.
- Feeling out of control. This can lead to being disorganised and unfocused, so important things begin to fall through the cracks and you feel unable to show up as your best self.
So how can I balance my root chakra with food?
If your root chakra is unbalanced it will be vibrating at an unharmonious frequency – either slower for an under-active chakra, or faster for an over-active chakra.
Colours hold their own unique vibrations and this even extends to food. Therefore, it’s important you eat the right coloured food to create balance. The root chakra is associated with the colour red.
So for an over-active root chakra you don’t want to eat a lot of red food otherwise you’ll further stimulate an already over-stimulated chakra. Green food calms an over-active root chakra, so eat lots of green fruit and vegetables such as kiwi, spinach, chard, kale, seaweed, lettuce, zucchini and avocado.
For an under-active root chakra, eat plenty of red fruit and vegetables such as tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, red bell peppers, red onion, red chillies, rhubarb and blood oranges.
Also, be mindful of eating natural food as our root chakra is our connection to being nourished from nature. So the further away you are from eating natural food, the more unbalanced your root chakra will be.
If this interests you and you wish to dive deeper, then come and visit me at: https://www.crapfreegoddess.com
P.S. I have a new online course the Chakra & Body Cleanse – registration is only open until midnight (Pacific Time) Thursday 19th October 2017.