In less than the time it will take you to read this article, you can be a happier person.
Take 60 seconds and think about all the things that made you smile or feel happy today.
Here is my list so far:
- The air smells like orange juice (I live in Florida and this time of year the juice processing plants are running).
- My dog ran at me full steam to greet me from checking the mail (at the end of our driveway, but I guess she was glad to see me!).
- I bought a birthday card with the perfect message for a friend.
- The sound of my husband’s voice over the phone.
- Reliving all these things as I type the list.
That last point is key. When you take 60 seconds to remember the things that made you smile today, you relive them, and you get to experience that happy feeling over and over again.
When you think of each item, really remember it, see it, and feel it.
Do this at least once a day. The more you can do it, the greater the results.
You can do the exercise when you wait for the toaster, when you make coffee, when you sit at a red light, or when you get in bed at night. Do it any time you begin to feel yourself getting bored or anxious or frustrated.
When you least feel like doing it, do it anyway, and see how quickly your mood can shift for you.
As always, I wish you all the best!
I made a 5-day Guide to Mastering Happiness, and it’s yours for free! Click here to get the guide for free!
Curious about life coaching? I help people heal their thought to change their lives. Check out what it’s like to work one-on-one with me.
Originally published at medium.com