Maintain relationships with existing clients: While our relationship with our client is of a professional nature, acknowledging that we see them as a person — more than a paycheck — can go a long way. And LinkedIn helps us a lot — more than any other social network — to keep in touch with the key people of our projects.
As part of my series of interviews about “How to Use LinkedIn To Dramatically Improve Your Business”, I had the pleasure of interviewing…
I had the pleasure of interviewing Urtzi Alfaro, the Founder & CEO of Urulp, a Digital Strategy Consulting Firm. He has been in the tech, digital strategy and digital marketing for over 10 years with international experience in Spain, Switzerland and UK. His professional vocation is to help brands and organizations achieving growth through new technology. He brings customer-centric mindfulness and a forward-looking approach. Helping organizations anticipating major shifts in the competitive marketplace and identifying emerging opportunities in this globalized and constantly changing world.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
I grew up in Spain, in a city a called Donostia — in the Basque region — and later attended Mondragon University to earn my Master of Science degree in Telecommunications Engineering.
I have built my career in a variety of roles and industries, mostly medium/big companies where I wasn’t just the Digital Technologist but also the product manager, digital transformation leader and the change maker. I’m not only used to wearing many hats, I sincerely enjoy it. I thrive in an environment where no two work days are exactly the same. That why I think that the combination of the Engineering and business mindset gave me the opportunity to create a very valuable know-how to be part of the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you started this career?
Oh, I’ve had many. Running my company is an incredible job that is always expanding my horizons and giving me experiences which foster innovation and growth.
I remember the first time I really grasped the impact our company have on people — directly and indirectly — engaged in our business. It is really amazing how a digital strategy in a company can change the direction of it. We’ve seen companies growing exponentially after implementing a proper digital transformation strategy in their businesses. But more inspiring is that those strategies impacted their customers, partners, and the entire world around them.
Can you share a story about the funniest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?
Oh, I have a very interesting mistake. When it comes to the world of the entrepreneurship, assumptions are incredibly important. However, it’s important to remember that these assumptions are not concrete facts and we should never fully rely on them as such. What’s more, there are certain areas when it comes to running a business that you never want to get too comfortable around. For example, I initially assumed that a customer will always be there. But if you don’t pay attention to them, your customers could be talking to your competition and soon doing business with your competitor rather than you.
Which social media platform have you found to be most effective to use to increase business revenues? Can you share a story from your experience?
Using social media to increase sales revenues has been always the core of our growth strategy.
We use the following two main strategies:
1. Brand awareness strategy: We use mainly Instagram and Facebook to share content that will be helpful for our audience. We create new content regularly to improve our SEO and increase our chances of being found online. This strategy helps us to create brand awareness that helps us to further expand our business and maintain a loyal following of active customers.
2. Client growth: We use mainly LinkedIn to create new connections with our potential clients and maintain a proper relationship with the existing clients. Building our connections — and keeping our account updated — is creating continuous attention of potential clients, joint-venture partners, and influencers.
Let’s talk about LinkedIn specifically, now. Can you share 5 ways to leverage LinkedIn to dramatically improve your business? Please share a story or example for each.
1. Build a brand voice: We post regular status updates including information that would be of interest to our target clients. Focusing on how and what we are doing help others achieve their goals — increasing brand awareness — and therefore, attracting new clients.
2. Introduce services to potential clients: LinkedIn’s search features allow others who are looking for what we offer to find us. Our LinkedIn business connections give us a direct business relationship with people and businesses we might not otherwise be able to reach. We create professional connections that are mutually beneficial to us and the other person.
3. Maintain relationship with existing clients: While our relationship with our client is of a professional nature, acknowledging that we see them as a person — more than a paycheck — can go a long way. And LinkedIn helps us a lot — more than any other social network — to keep in touch with the key people of our projects.
4. Conduct competitor research: Businesses use social media in a variety of ways. On the one hand, we find similar companies and analysis how they communicate their message and their services. On the other hand, we analyze the competitor’s updates and which ones are receiving the most engagement — replies, likes or shares — to decide on what approach will be best for our business. We don’t limit our analysis to competitors of a specific size.
5. Collaborate with others in the same industry: We participate in groups. Joining groups related to our business and our interests establishes Urulp as an expert in the digital strategy field.
Because of the position that you are in, you are a person of great influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. 🙂
I feel pretty strongly that our company as a whole is striving to bring goodness to the world. From the small moments to the big ones — we’re thinking about and driving toward better experiences for our clients and communities. The innovative digital strategies defined by us are increasing the access to a variety of services to people that might not otherwise be able to access those services. We are on track to impact 1 million people.
On a personal level, I’ve been always excited in taking part in different activities where the human interaction and the emotional intelligence were a very important aspect to keep in mind. Because helping others actually helps yourself.
Some of the biggest names in Business, VC funding, Sports, and Entertainment read this column. Is there a person in the world, or in the US with whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why? He or she might just see this if we tag them 🙂
I’d be fascinated to meet Richard Branson. A leader needs to be able to take risks and Richard Branson is an explorer and a ground-breaking entrepreneur on so many levels. Throughout his long history of running businesses, the Virgin Group founder has been a well-respected employer, someone who has created thousands of jobs for talented people around the world. He is known for his rule-breaking approach to leadership, one which encourages every employee to become an innovative thinker, who can add value in their own way.
Thank you so much for these great insights. This was very enlightening!