I’ve been talking to a lot of people recently, and the theme I keep hearing is, “I can’t turn off my brain!” Can you relate or know someone who might relate? I know for me this is a constant issue, but there are some things you can do about it.
Overthinking, lack of focus, feeling overwhelmed, or worried is not ADHD. It’s your brain in survival mode. Somewhere along the line, you (or circumstances in your life) convinced your brain that you could, at any moment, be attacked by a lion, and taught it to be “on” all the time. Day to day, this can also look like:
- Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall back to sleep
- Feeling “revved up” but exhausted at the same time
- Feeling disengaged, apathetic, or unmotivated towards something that you used to be excited about
- Sleeping but feeling exhausted in the morning
- Unexplained weight gain, especially around the middle
- Using alcohol to “chill” more than 1-2 times a week
The problem with overthinking is that it is distracting, causes more overwhelm, comparison, and feeling like you are never good enough. In it’s essence, it’s a lack mindset. I just posted a video about overthinking’s cousin, comparison, on Facebook. Click here to check it out.
If this is you or someone you know, here are some quick tips to help you quiet your mind. You can do these any time of the day when overthinking gets you distracted.
- Focus on your breath. This is as simple as it gets. Sometimes, even with this, I start to get monkey brain, so I count my breath. Like in out “1”, in out “2”, etc.
- Use essential oils such as vetiver, basil, wild orange, patchouli and Balance grounding blend. These really work! Using a high quality brand is key. You can learn more and order here.
- Scrap your to-do list. Focus only on 3 top priorities a day. Ask yourself:
- What is time sensitive? What HAS to be done today?
- What is the most profitable/effective task?
To an over-achiever, this might seem lame, but that’s the mindset that got you into overthinking and survival mode! So switch gears, be open-minded, and see how this can actually create MORE success, focus, and happiness. If you’re still struggling, I invite you to schedule a free confidential conversation with moi. Click here to schedule.
This article was originally posted on my blog at elysejarard.com/blog