How to transfer the property in case of shared ownership?

Shared ownership means that two or more persons share the ownership of the property.

The Thrive Global Community welcomes voices from many spheres on our open platform. We publish pieces as written by outside contributors with a wide range of opinions, which don’t necessarily reflect our own. Community stories are not commissioned by our editorial team and must meet our guidelines prior to being published.

Shared ownership means that two or more persons share the ownership of the property. All the persons are co-owners and have:

A co-owner has the right, title, and interest in the property of shared ownership. The share of each co-owner is transferrable. 

Shared ownership can be in the form of tenancy in common, joint tenancy, tenancy in entirety, co-owners as coparceners, etc. 

Transfer of property:

A co-owner can transfer his share by executing a transfer deed. The share can be transferred to a stranger or other co-owner. The share is transferred through a transfer deed, which can be a sale deed, gift deed, relinquishment deed, etc. The same is drawn as per the rights available in a particular type of shared ownership. 

It is advised to take the assistance of a property attorney or a civil lawyer handling property matters to draft the transfer deed.

The partition is not necessary for the transfer of a share, but it is essential to know the extent of the share as a co-owner can transfer only his share. The share of each co-owner must be defined, explicit, and identifiable without any ambiguity. All co-owners may not have equal shares.   

The co-owners can identify their share as permitted under the applicable law (also depends on the nature of shared ownership) in two ways:

  1. By mutual consent
  2. By filing a partition lawsuit in India -If the co-owners are unable to decide their share mutually or if only one co-owner seeks partition and others resist, a partition lawsuit is filed for determining the share of each co-owner. 

For transferring the share, it is not necessary that:

  • There is the consent of all the co-owners. If permitted under law, a co-owner can transfer his share without the consent of all others. In some kinds of shared ownership, the consent of all co-owners is required.  
  • There is a partition of property- The share can be transferred even if the property has not been partitioned. But each co-owner must be clear about his share irrespective of partition deed. In a joint family, there may be a family settlement deed defining the shares. This document can also help the transferee to understand the transferred share.

The transferee steps into the shoes of a co-owner, and his rights are subject to provisions of law. 

After the partition of property, the shared ownership comes to an end. Each co-owner becomes an independent owner of his share and can sell, mortgage, and gift his share without others’ consent. 

All the co-owners have a right to possession of the property. A co-owner’s exclusive possession of the entire property is not adverse to other co-owners. The rest of the co-owners still have a right to possess. Their share in the property exists, and they can transfer the same. 

After the transfer of a share, it is vital to get the mutation records updated in the transferee’s name and new co-ownership.

Meta Description: It is advised to take the assistance of an experienced property attorney to transfer property in shared ownership through a mutually consented transfer deed or filing a partition lawsuit.

    Share your comments below. Please read our commenting guidelines before posting. If you have a concern about a comment, report it here.

    You might also like...


    Choose Your Business Structure wisely

    by Gaurav Rawat

    Sam Brownell of Stratus Wealth Advisors: “Start Your Education Early”

    by Jason Hartman
    We use cookies on our site to give you the best experience possible. By continuing to browse the site, you agree to this use. For more information on how we use cookies, see our Privacy Policy.