I used to feel like I was trapped in someone else’s life.
My plan was to retire at the company I worked for, but the career I had worked so long and so hard to build no longer felt like a forever thing.
The work I was being asked to do no longer felt in alignment with my values and integrity.
The toxic work environment I was in became more and more unbearable each day.
I was no longer learning and growing in my work.
The dynamic in my relationships had changed too.
People I had considered friends, I no longer resonated with anymore.
Suddenly a lot of the things I once enjoyed no longer were of as much importance to me.
I had all I could ask for, right? A great job, a nice home, lots of nice things and I could travel whenever and wherever I wanted.
But why was I feeling so lonely and unfulfilled? I felt like a hollow shell of a person.
Sure, on the outside everything looked okay, but none of that mattered because on the inside there was a nothingness.
I asked myself some important questions.
Beyond all the “things”, who do I want to be?
What do I want to be known for?
What is my legacy?
What is my PURPOSE?
None of the answers to these questions involved any material things.
Just as we mentally develop and physically grow, over time we spiritually awaken.
This happens differently for each person.
Many people think of spirituality as being attached to religion or just being “woo woo” which seems to be a popular term.
The core definition of spirituality is the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
So you see, you can experience this shift in consciousness regardless of your belief system.
When this shift happened for me, I wasn’t sure what was happening at the time. I felt lonely, and like I was on my own island.
I also had a fear of revealing who I really was.
Society has taught us to believe that it’s money that actually makes the world go round. SO not true.
I had a lot of questions and I didn’t feel like there was anyone I could talk to that could give me answers. I felt like my friends and family wouldn’t understand why I had this change in perspective.
I found my way eventually, but it took me a long time to get there on my own. I’ve shared my experience with you with the intent of making your path an easier one.
If you resonate with what I’ve shared, or you’re experiencing other changes in your life that can’t be explained, then you could be experiencing a shift.
Here are 3 steps you can take today that will make embracing the “new” you a lot easier…
- Recognize what you’re going through.
Here are some easy to spot signs that your experiencing a shift in consciousness:
- You’ve experienced a major life event that has forever changed your life. There could even be more than one.
- Purpose. You long for more meaning in your life, and want to make a positive difference.
- Hypersensitivity. Each day it becomes more and more unbearable to be around toxic energy/environments. Your senses feel heightened.
- Relationships. You may no longer resonate with family and friends you once felt close to. You may feel drained by them, and/or prefer to be alone more often.
- Willingness and a desire to know who you truly are and to be yourself (not who other people think you should be).
- You become allergic to people, places, things, TV, and other media that don’t align with your values and beliefs.
2. Identify where you’re feeling the most discontent.
3. Re-evaluate your priorities. What in your life is really (I mean really) important?
Following these steps will give you clarity with your new perspective on things.
There’s nothing wrong, and you’re not broken or crazy. As with everything in the world, we are meant to grow and evolve.
If this resonates and you want a deeper level of support, I would love to help you. Connect with me by applying here for a complimentary clarity session and discover how 1:1 coaching and mentoring may be just what you need to go from where you are now to where you want to be.
Article originally published here on LinkedIn on June 29, 2017.