Car polishing is usually done to smooth out the scratches and imperfections in the car’s paint. The imperfections are generally caused due to the chemicals which are present in the polish. The dullness of the car gets diminished after polishing. A common issue in the car’s dullness is the swirl marks also known as cob-webbing. And this minor swirl can be removed by car polishing or paintwork. Car polishing can be done by machine as well as by yourself. Polishing the car by your own sounds relaxing and satisfying. You can also ask help from your family and can have a good time together in polishing the car.
By polishing the car you can extend the life and beauty of the paint and exterior. A complete and thorough car polishing removes the firmly bonded surface contaminants and subsurface all the paint defects. A successful car polishing can be achieved by spending a little energy and a little time.
Few steps to polish your car
- At first, the vehicle should be properly washed to remove all surface dirt and contaminants. It should be washed by a clean car sponge with an automotive cleaner.
- By using a bar of detailing clay remove all firmly affixed foreign materials like road tar, tree sap etc.
- Dry the vehicle by an air dry or dry it by your hand using an automotive friendly chamois cloth. Before proceeding to the next step always check to ensure that no foreign material has been transferred onto the vehicle.
- Choose a microfiber applicator pad to apply a light abrasive polish. The mild abrasive polish will remove any blemished areas on the surface of the paint. It will also restore a perfect finish. Make sure not to mix any products with the same pad while applying the polish.
- Now work the polish onto the vehicle by small sections at a time. It is recommended that polish in the same direction across the area of the vehicle and change the angle for each pass. First pass up and down the area than second pass side to side across the area of the vehicle and the third pass is diagonally. By doing so the polish gets an even application.
- After polishing of the complete car sometimes a light haze remains. Thus buff off the remaining residue of the polish by a soft microfiber buffing towel or a dry chamois towel.
Few tips to keep in mind for getting better result
- Don’t use a lot of polish to get a good job as it badly affects the exterior look.
- Clean the entire polish residue from all around the panel gaps, badges, seals on your vehicles.
- Before applying the polish always check the bottle or packaging as some manufacturers have special methods for applying the polish to get the best result out of their polish.
Now you are ready with a complete and perfect finish of the car with a shiny texture. By following these few tips carefully and by contributing a little time you can polish your own vehicle easily and can be satisfied with the result.