Healthy eyes are important in maintaining our overall body health. There are many small things you can do maintain your eyes’ health as well as preserve your eyesight. The easiest and the best way to protect your eyesight is a regular eye check-up. Beyond that, you can do some of the following to maintain your eyesight.
- Maintaining a healthy diet seems to solve most of our health issues. The same goes for the eyes too. Including foods rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A and C, omega-3-fatty acids etc., like green leafy vegetables and fish is beneficial for maintaining eyesight. Consumption of alcohol and fatty foods has been proved to have a negative impact on vision due to fat deposits in the arteries in the eyes.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight prevents an array of diseases from attacking you. Overweight often leads to diabetes and high blood pressure. Diabetes can lead to diabetic glaucoma, an eye condition characterized by deteriorating vision. Mild exercises to maintain body weight also improve blood circulation, improving oxygen levels to all organs, not just eyes.
- If you are a habitual smoker or is exposed to smoke continuously, it is time to stop. Smoking exposes your eyes to a very high level of oxidative stress. It increases the risk of developing macular degeneration, cataract, nerve damage etc.,
- We have become so connected to the digital devices that we use them all the time, whether at the office or at home. These devices expose us to high energy blue light. The pigments Lutein and Zeaxanthin are responsible for filtering blue light exposed to us, but our bodies cannot produce these two pigments on their own. We get our dosage from our diet and we often don’t get enough.
- Talk to your family members about the history of eye health in the family. Quite often, eye problems are proved to be genetic. If known earlier, most of these problems can be treated before they become worse.
- Using protective eyewear when going out in the sun, if your job involves looking at a computer for a long period of time or during sports activities, wearing safety goggles etc. can help you protect your eyes from harsh environmental factors.
We don’t give proper importance to our eyesight and take it for granted many times. Some people don’t even realize that they could see better with the help of glasses or contacts. Even refractive issues are neglected to a large extent until it becomes worse.
Thankfully, the past few decades have been kind to technological improvements and most of the eye-related problems are curable nowadays. Even semi-permanent vision correction is possible, thanks to LASIK surgery. Even though glasses have been preferred by a lot of people, lenses have also found a huge market as more comfortable and reliable lenses have been introduced in the market.
Vision correction lenses are also available in coloured variations these days. Solotica natural colors are very good options when it comes to coloured lenses. These lenses can also be found online and unlike many shady manufacturers, solotica lenses online are reliable, comfortable and affordable.