Everyone likes to have a healthy conversation and loves the ups and downs of a discussion, till the time both the parties are equally involved in it. But, now a days, with the widespread of English as the social and official language in our country, it is becoming difficult for a huge lot of people to even start a conversation. For them, taking part in a discussion is way beyond, where they are even afraid to strike a conversation.
A person is highly judged on the basis of his English speaking as well as writing skills and so, to fit into the society and live a better life, one is required to have great skills of English speaking and writing. It is really necessary to have such skills in the current scenarios of interviews and Group Discussions too. So, let’s discuss some points on how to improve these skills.
Some easy and doable steps to help improve your speaking skills are :-
- Become a good Listener : This is necessary as each and every healthy discussion requires all the parties to listen too. Hence, if you wish to become a good speaker, then become a good listener first.
- Start reading Novels and Books : An avid reader never faces the problem of poor speaking skills; that’s why it is said to keep on reading new books and novels to improve your vocabulary, your thinking, and the way you see things too. A person must know how to improve communication skills to communicate effectively.
- Start thinking in English : It becomes very time consuming if you think in your native language and then convert your thoughts into English with all of its grammatical constraints and then open your mouth. So, to remove this problem, start thinking in english itself so that you are able to save some time and become fluent too.
- Find new words : To express your feelings effectively, you must have an active and good vocabulary. And this does not mean only knowing the words but also to be abe to use them whenever required and at the right place.
- Forget grammar at first : Stop thinking about committing a grammatical mistake. This hesitation is the biggest barrier that stops you friom even speaking up. So, just for once, stop thinking about your grammar and focus more on your speaking skills.
- Be Confident : Being confident while speaking is till date the most important thing that is required to become a good speaker. You may have a lot of knowledge, but if you aren’t confident to speak up, you cannot attain good speaking skills.
- Indulge in Discussions : Take part in debates, spell bees, family discussions, society meetings and the try to express yourself in English and think of your audience as a huge crowd and if then you are able to speak confidently and fluently, you have achieved the art of good speaking skills.
- Practice in front of a Mirror : This is something that you must have heard from your parents and elders. Speaking skills aren’t achieved in a day or fortnight. They require a lot of practice and when you look in the mirror and speak, you’ll get to learn how you would represent yourself in front of the audience.
Just as speaking skills are important in life, writing skills also go hand in hand with it. Some easy and doable steps to help improve your writing skills are :-
- Start Reading more and more : Reading is useful not only in improving your writing skills, but also in many other ways. One always learns a lot through reading. SO, start reading the books and articles that you are interested in and the improve your scope of reading.
- Use grammar checking applications : There are many applications out there, for example, Grammarly. It is an application that finds out your errors related to grammar in your text and then helps you correct them. This way you could know about your errors committed an then could improve from it.
- Read what you’ve written again and again : Reading something again and again makes you wonder that whether it is correct or not. This is something that great writers do, in order to find out any errors in their writings and this even helps them to improve from such mistakes.
- Keep Practicing : “Practice makes a man perfect”. We all must have heard this phrase for like a million times and still haven’t put it to use. If you wish to get better at your writing skills then you must start writing in English and keep on practicing until you get fluent in it.
- Just do it in a go : Writing a lot is a difficult and tiresome task. However, the best way still is to keep on writing and writing; and there is no end to it, i.e., there is no time at which you can say that you are good enough in writing.
- Expand your Vocabulary and use it : It becomes very difficult to express yourself when you lack the vocabulary an now you stand unaware of the word that you want to use. So, start reading newspapers, articles, novels to improve your vocabulary and note down some important words that you think you could use at some time in future.
- Improve Your Grammar : The quality of your writing depends a lot on your grammar. Great writers often suggest to use punctuations, as it makes the text more clear and fluent. Also, be clear while using tenses and use correct tense always.
Having great command on your English speaking and writing skills is something that everyone must have. I hope that this article would help you in improving your skills amd would help you to become great spokes person and writers.
Wish you All the Best for your journey.