- Keep a consistent sleep schedule and stick with it
- Do not use long naps
- Prepare for sleep by giving your body the right signals-keep the room as dark as possible, turn off electronic devices, drink a cup of warm chamomile tea or take a warm shower.
- Eat at least 3 hrs before to go to bed, preferably a high protein snack. Avoid sugar and refined grains that create a hormone roller coaster disrupting your sleep cycles
- Eliminate caffeine, alcohol & nicotine.
- Use relaxation techniques: meditation, abdominal breathing, progressive muscle relaxation
- Catch the sleep wave. If you can’t fall asleep within 40 minutes get up and read a book or write. Trying to fall asleep can cause more stress over not sleeping.
Originally published at www.tsernou.com.
Originally published at medium.com