Wikipedia is one of the largest and most-read websites. It is also known for its reputation and authority. Anytime you search a term on Google, a topic of science, a politician, a company, a business, or any online program, the top search results are always from Wikipedia. Hence it can be a very powerful tool for marketing and business purpose. Maximum consumers do online research before making any purchases. Having a Wikipedia page for your company can help your business look trustworthy. It can be used to increase your sales and build a reputation in the market. Though Wikipedia has its own guide which details how one should proceed if one is interested in getting a page created, but still that guide may appear to be bit complicated and full of jargons. Hence a definite guide appears to be more helpful for those who want to get the fullest from Wikipedia while starting from ground zero.
Here are the steps to create a Wikipedia page for your company:
1. Create an account: First of all, you need to create an account. For this go to www.wikipedia.org and on the top right corner, you will see a “create account” option. Once you click on that, a page will appear which will ask for your basic details like username and email address. Set a suitable username and create a user page.
2. Become an auto-confirmed user: When a registered user is more than 4 days old and has made at least 10 changes.
Benefits of becoming an auto-confirmed user:
- An auto-confirmed user can create an article and does not need to write a draft and wait for it to get reviewed.
- You can edit semi-protected articles once you become an auto-confirmed user. Very little content on Wikipedia is completely protected; the majority is semi-protected. You will have access to the majority of content on the website.
- There will be minimum use of captcha which will save a lot of time.
- The edit filters will not delete your changes or fire you if you are an autoconfirmed user. If you break minor rules here and there, it won’t be noticed.
To become an autoconfirmed user, you need to spend your time editing articles that need improvements on Wikipedia.
3. Create your company page: Now come the most important and the most challenging part which is creating the page.
Go on the “writing an article” page on Wikipedia You will see a blue button that says “Article Wizard”. Click on this button and you will be directed to Wikipedia Article wizard page. You have two options here, either you can click on “next” and directly create a new article or on “practice in your personal sandbox” to practice writing articles. If you are a beginner, you should consider practicing on a few articles first and then get started with actually creating a page.
- Write an article, not an advertisement: Your page should include the most fundamental and the most important information about your company like the idea of your company, the service you provide to consumers, why you started this company but it should not look like a promotion. Do not write why a consumer should choose your company over others; remember Wikipedia is not meant for advertisement.
- Do your research: You can take ideas of structure and kind of information that needs to be provided from pages of famous companies.
- Do not violate Wikipedia’s rules: Wikipedia accepts articles written from a neutral point of view, do not write an article that disrespects other companies or makes false promises.
Check the notability of your company: Wikipedia rejects an article if it does not meet its notability and core content requirements. Your company should have some visibility online already. The subject must have been published in books, magazines, journals.
4. Provide citations: You need to tell your readers that the material in your work comes from a reliable source and your company is trustworthy. Hence, to prove the validity of your topic and provide assurance to the reader, you should provide citations to other articles and other sources. Wikipedia does not approve an article if it is not notable, referenced properly, or violates the copyright rules. The topic of your article needs to be covered before in reliable sources like magazines, journals, and books. Social media, news reports, and press releases do not come under reliable sources.
5. Submit your page for review: When you have completed writing your page and you are confident about it, it is time to submit it for review. Once Wikipedia approves your article, your page will go live as an official Wikipedia page.
6. Update your page regularly: Once you have published your page, you need to update it regularly with the new information, facilities, and ideas that your company is going through.
The Final Verdict:
Wikipedia has a Policy which goes by the name Conflict of Interest. To summarize the policy, when you are creating a Wikipedia Page for a company or business entity which has close relationship with you (employee/director/owner etc.) you need to declare such Conflict of Interest. You are also discouraged to edit the pages with which you have Conflict of Interest directly. The suggested way is to ask for a help from one of the many volunteers of Wikipedia.
It is very common that once a page has been submitted on Wikipedia, it gets rejected on various policy-based grounds which appear to be daunting if not impossible to fix. You can always have the option to hire professional Wikipedia expert to get the consultancy about what strategy you should adopt to get a successful Wikipedia Page created. These wiki experts most often come up with a holistic wiki service as well which might be suitable for you should you find yourself running out of time. But at any point of time, Wikipedia is open to be edited by anyone as long as they are following its rules and policies.