As the time for New Year’s resolutions arrives, there is A New Hope as the Force Awakens and compels us to set goals for motivation, inspiration, and success. Sound familiar to you? With The Rise of the Skywalker out this season, let’s have some fun and see how a little Star Wars inspiration can help you meet the goal you set for the new year. These tips will help you avoid becoming a statistic. One 2014 poll, conducted by researchers at the University of Scranton, found that while 77% of people adhered to New Year’s resolutions within the first week, that figure dips to 46% after six months (this must be after The Empire Strikes Back). At one year it drops down to less than 10%. So use the force and these practical tips to help you succeed in 2020.
1. Instead of resolutions, set a goal! One realistic goal. This goal should align with your values and future aspirations. When we try to have many resolutions, we lose focus and it is much harder to achieve your goal. As Qui-Gon Jinn said, “Your focus becomes your reality.”
2. Make sure the resolution/goal is measurable. Many people will have weight loss or health-related resolutions. Be specific in your goal setting, as in “I will exercise 3 times a week to promote a healthy lifestyle.” When your own mind or others tell you it’s too hard or can’t be done, remember Han Solo who said, “Never tell me the odds.”
3. Take small steps. Replacing old habits with new ones takes time and effort. Recognize there will probably be setbacks along the way but you can overcome them. We can learn from our setbacks and mistakes. As Obi-Wan Kenobi said, “Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine.” Use setbacks as motivation!
4. Get support. Tell someone your goal. Sharing with others is a great way to stay motivated and allow your support system to cheer you on and hold you accountable. Even Darth Vader said, “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” Believe in yourself and surround yourself with others who believe in you too.
5. Focus on the present. Ask yourself, “What can I do right now to help reach my goal?” The big picture can be overwhelming and that can lead us to give up. Take one day at a time and be patient for the changes that will occur. “Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future…but not at the expense of the moment.” Qui Gon Jinn
6. Visualize! Visualize the benefits of achieving this goal. How will it change your life? Writing down and visualizing goals are proven to be one of the habits of successful people. If you are hesitant to do this, you have a fear that is preventing you from achieving success, find it! “Named your fear must be before you can banish it.” Yoda.
7. Consistency. Whatever your resolution or goal, consistency will be the key to success. It won’t always be perfect but with enough consistency, these goals become habits that will ensure your future success. We must have new, healthy habits to replace old, unhealthy ones. “You must unlearn what you have learned.” Yoda
I have to agree with Obi-Wan who said, “There is no such thing as luck.” It takes intention and focus to succeed. Use these practical tips to achieve your goal for 2020, and “ Remember, the force will be with you always.”