Can’t sleep? We all have this problem from time to time. Breaking out of habits such as too much coffee can be frustrating but think of the long term effects if you don’t make the steps. Small sacrifices make big changes.
Here’s some non-jargon tips to help you switch off:
- Read. Put that phone away – no, seriously. Phones stimulate the brain which keeps it over-active – how do you expect to sleep in that state of mind. Put your phone away from your head also – at least 6ft away if possible from your bed
- Breathe – concentrate on your breathing and try to get it to slow down
- Count backwards from 100 – sometimes this works or even counting sheep using your imagination! Whatever works for you
- Caffeine – the bedroom ingredient of disaster – don’t drink, smoke or have tea/coffee at least 5 hours before you intend to sleep
- Lower the room temperature – too hot or too cold isn’t a balance – find your correct, comfortable temperature
- Try and stick to a schedule if possible – your body needs at least 7 to 9 hours sleep – give it what it needs to rest
- Darkness and Lightness Awareness – your body needs to be aware of each light – and darkness will allow production of melatonin – essential for sleep
- Meditate – this always helps you relax. Get some soothing music on perhaps
- Don’t look at your watch – just allow your body to naturally switch off without the worry of time
- Avoid naps during the day – this can affect your body clock when it wants to sleep.
Other factors such as watching what you eat can help also. Don’t overeat before sleep time. Your body needs time to digest that food. You can also write about your day in a journal – this is highly recommended.
This was originally published on https://www.coachqadir.com/